IGNORED

Looking to get my 10yro daughter a bear.

allmann

I’m at the point where I recognize the need to cull these animals and I have no need for more bear taxidermy. My next one will be treated like a deer, the hide is tossed or given away and I just keep the meat. The idea that hunters MUST pay exorbitant costs to make a rug or do a wall mount is silly. I await my shoulder mount bear from John Noon, and he did my first bear, a rug, many years ago now. After this second bear comes home, I don’t see me doing more taxidermy with any future bears I shoot. 

16 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

I’m at the point where I recognize the need to cull these animals and I have no need for more bear taxidermy. My next one will be treated like a deer, the hide is tossed or given away and I just keep the meat. The idea that hunters MUST pay exorbitant costs to make a rug or do a wall mount is silly. I await my shoulder mount bear from John Noon, and he did my first bear, a rug, many years ago now. After this second bear comes home, I don’t see me doing more taxidermy with any future bears I shoot. 

A simple tanning of a hide is the best bang for your buck (relatively inexpensive compared to rug; about $500). I have a tanned hide over a couch in my man cave.

1 hour ago, allmann said:

It’s been all ground blinds because of ease and concealment, but I can train her to hunt out of a tree. Will need to get a harness but I’m sure they have them. 

I can assist you, IF you are willing to do a lot of the work. I see you are from Atlantic County. You will need to bait on three occasions (3 weekends). I can almost guarantee you a bear (nothing is a 100%). Get in touch w me after Labor Day. 

once the bait is out I bet within 24 hrs at most bears will be on it.  when I did bait for bears I would bait with 100 lbs or more of donuts once per week....Put corn out and top it off with some sweets like Kool-Aid mix,  jello mix, etc. Another good type of bait is to save your food scraps instead of tossing them in the garbage, 

21 minutes ago, BHC said:

once the bait is out I bet within 24 hrs at most bears will be on it.  when I did bait for bears I would bait with 100 lbs or more of donuts once per week....Put corn out and top it off with some sweets like Kool-Aid mix,  jello mix, etc. Another good type of bait is to save your food scraps instead of tossing them in the garbage, 

When I hunted bears in NB Canada, the outfitter used fish carcass and lots of used fry oil.

46 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

When I hunted bears in NB Canada, the outfitter used fish carcass and lots of used fry oil.

oil is great, they step in it and as they walk away it's used to attract other bears on the trail they made 

When I hunted bear in Maine in the spring with an outfitter they used the carcasses of the animals they trapped in the winter. They stored them in 55 gallon drums that stuff slid out and the smell was unbelievable. But the bears loved it.

On 4/18/2024 at 9:09 AM, nmc02 said:

I can assist you, IF you are willing to do a lot of the work. I see you are from Atlantic County. You will need to bait on three occasions (3 weekends). I can almost guarantee you a bear (nothing is a 100%). Get in touch w me after Labor Day. 

I would really appreciate that. I will reach out after Labor Day. Thank you very much