IGNORED

Stripers on the Fly

39 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Besides a clouser and Muddler, what are some of the other flies I should get for this? 

Not sure about a muddler minnow.  I mostly use Deceivers and Clousers which are both streamers. For Albies and when rainfish are the bait of choice, I use epoxy flies like a Surf Candy. When adult bunker are in, huge streamers to imitate them. Saltwater is much less complicated than trout. We have bunker (adult and peanut), rainfish, sand eels, and mullet, and those make up the bulk of your fly imitations unless you hit a cinder worm hatch or are in a boat and fish are targeting squid.  

23 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Lotta false casting I meant but sounds like its not necessary .

False casting does one of two things. First and foremost, it allows casters to get line out for casts requiring more than a basic roll cast. Second, it allows you to get your timing correct before you toss your fly above a rising fish. The latter is irrelevant in saltwater. Most fly anglers make WAY TOO MANY false casts. Even if you have a standard 9 foot rod in the 8-10 weight range, two back casts should be all you need to get line out and load the rod to punch the line forward.  Practice that speed up to hard stop which is what loads the rod. And learn the double haul if using a one hand rod. That is critical for the distance you often need from the beach. 

4 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

False casting does one of two things. First and foremost, it allows casters to get line out for casts requiring more than a basic roll cast. Second, it allows you to get your timing correct before you toss your fly above a rising fish. The latter is irrelevant in saltwater. Most fly anglers make WAY TOO MANY false casts. Even if you have a standard 9 foot rod in the 8-10 weight range, two back casts should be all you need to get line out and load the rod to punch the line forward.  Practice that speed up to hard stop which is what loads the rod. And learn the double haul if using a one hand rod. That is critical for the distance you often need from the beach. 

Do you fly fish?

6 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Once you get into it, youll never go back to a spinning rod !!;)

Agreed. I started at age 7 but mixed it up between spin, bait casting and fly until I turned 28 and got my first saltwater rod, a G Loomis 9 foot 9 weight. From that day on, I have been nearly 100% fly for any fish. The exceptions are mostly since Covid when I started fishing with friends from this site chasing species often new to me, and most have been with conventional tackle. This is my 51st year fly fishing.