IGNORED

Stripers on the Fly

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

I’ve been fly fishing the salt and used to guide on the northern beaches for decades and never once used any weight other than the fly and/or the fly line to get the fly into the strike zone. 

Not sure what you mean by “a lot of casting”?  From the beach, I use an 11’ two hand rod with 36’ shooting heads attached to a 120’ level floating line which is then attached to my Dacron backing.  I make a single backcast and power the rod forward and shoot 150’ plus (up to 180’) out into the water. This is far different than presenting a fly to a trout.  You’re just looking to punch the fly out there. 

Lotta false casting I meant but sounds like its not necessary .

I’ve been fly fishing the salt and used to guide on the northern beaches for decades and never once used any weight other than the fly and/or the fly line to get the fly into the strike zone. 

Not sure what you mean by “a lot of casting”?  From the beach, I use an 11’ two hand rod with 36’ shooting heads attached to a 120’ level floating line which is then attached to my Dacron backing.  I make a single backcast and power the rod forward and shoot 150’ plus (up to 180’) out into the water. This is far different than presenting a fly to a trout.  You’re just looking to punch the fly out there. 

What kind of shooting head? Like a Skagit setup?

3 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Are you spey casting or just double hauling. How are you getting so much distance with 1 back cast? 

19 minutes ago, NJNewbie said:

Are you spey casting or just double hauling. How are you getting so much distance with 1 back cast? 

Neither. I am using a two handed cast. One simple backcast with my leader and 36’ shooting head and I load the rod deeply. Then come forward and release the line fairly high and let it shoot out of your stripping basket. 

45 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Neither. I am using a two handed cast. One simple backcast with my leader and 36’ shooting head and I load the rod deeply. Then come forward and release the line fairly high and let it shoot out of your stripping basket. 

That’s the ticket👍👍

AWM

1 hour ago, NJNewbie said:

Because the line he is using is heavy enough to load the rod so as he goes forward and makes an abrupt stop with the rod up at between 10-11 oclock the energy is release making the line shoot like a rocket. Spey casting uses the water to load the rod and that advantage is used whereas you have no room to backcast. Two different animals here. I do a lot of spey for steelhead and can throw a huge indicator, two flys and a bunch of buckshot sized splitshot with zero casting room behind me, but no need for that on the surf…. Use Bucknbows technique there

AWM

Isnt Spey basically a 2 handed Flyrod cast though?

1 minute ago, Northcountryman said:

Isnt Spey basically a 2 handed Flyrod cast though?

Yes, and within Spey casting are several techniques.  The two handed fly cast is just that, and it is different than other casts.  BTW, you can cast any fly rod using Spey techniques.  Just remember to "anchor the D loop".  I strip all but the 36' shooting head, leader and fly into my stripping basket and then make my backcast and send the whole affair out to sea in one forward cast.  No false casting unless I feel I didn't properly load the rod on my first backcast and then when that happens, I only make a second false cast and never more, unlike traditional casting.  The key for any and all types of fly casting is to load the rod fully.

3 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Ok, I get it now; how , much line you got out behind you in your backcast would you say, roughly.

Exactly 36' of shooting head which is just beyond my tip top guide plus the length of leader I'm using which is as short as 3' if using fast sink and as long as maybe 8' when Albies are around or I'm using intermediate sink line/tips.  My 120' running line is sitting in my stripping basket on my backcast.