IGNORED

Goose Enchiladas - and you'd never know it was goose

mazzgolf

This is for those folks who say they don't like Canada goose or can't cook it.

This is not hard to cook, and it is extremely delicious. You would never know you are eating wild Canada goose. It's so good, my daughter asked that I make this for her tonight because she liked it so much the last time I made it (and that's saying something because my entire family has an aversion to most wild game).

Goose Enchiladas !! I got this recipe from the NRA's American Hunter magazine a few years ago.

First, the prep. I would bet most of the time when people say they don't like goose or a recipe didn't come out good, they didn't properly prep the meat. I think one of the most important steps to making good goose recipes is the prep immediately after harvest. When I harvest geese, as soon as I bring them home, I make sure I take as much silver skin off as I can. I also trim off any bits that don't look good (this includes any of the large arteries that I see snaking through the meat). I then brine it for 1 to 2 days in a salt-water solution. I will then vacuum seal and freeze the meat. This way, all the prep is done ahead of time and when I want to make dinner, I just defrost the meat, cut it out of the vacuum bag, and I know it is ready to cook.

1. I took the two breasts from a single Canada goose, put them in my Instant Pot, and added a couple cups of beef both (from bouillon) and topped it off with water to make sure all the meat was submerged in the liquid. I slow cooked it on high for 7 hours. After the slow cook was finished, I could easily shred it by hand. It smelled good after shredding that had I just added some BBQ sauce, it would have been good enough for pulled goose sammiches!

image.jpeg.2cb0cbc8e072bdd0230c724d44e8c6df.jpeg2. Mix all the ingredients with the meat to make the filling:

image.jpeg.1a6fd93832df4f0fd25de4bb5191e538.jpeg3. Put a half-cup of filling each in eight large tortillas, wrap them tightly, and put them in a casserole dish:

image.jpeg.0eccde7ab9ef2218ddc53d8f84487fc5.jpeg4. Cover with enchilada sauce, and it's ready for the oven:

image.jpeg.5d42fa00acd3789cf8439d2c95f0899d.jpeg5. After 10 minutes of cooking, top with shredded cheese, and put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes:

image.jpeg.d6040a3cdd4dc89525f2edecb3cdd979.jpeg6. Finished! Sprinkle on some garnish (I used parsley), and serve!

image.jpeg.4abaf0f7d7f9eb67f6f18d77a6b7673b.jpeg7. Eat. Unless you don't like Mexican food in general, I don't see how a person would not like this. You could serve this to anyone and they would never know it is wild goose. It's delicious.

image.jpeg.c747904abdeb4ca698fbd7a4c1fc115e.jpeg

Enchiladas are not my thing with any meat. Your thread shows that any wild game can be used in a way that makes it very palatable. You just have to find the right recipe. Everything just can't be thrown on a grill. :up:

Outstanding!!  I made some goose jerky recently….came out ok…but it’s usually going to the hound n setter as doggie treats. There may be hope for going goose huntin again w those enchiladas!!