IGNORED

Decoys?

DBuck

I have a couple of cheap decoys and an Avian-X jake and hen combo. I hunt the same property every year and set up my blind 3 weeks before the season opens.

I am set up in a narrow hedgerow between two fields. The flock ignored the cheap hen decoy in the field to my left, strutted around for 10 minutes about 80 yards out and went back into the woods. I as getting ready to pack up when the boss gobbler came running out at the pair to my right. I never called to him but he wanted to kill that jake really badly. It was 28 pounds with 1 1/2 inch spurs, My wildlife biologist buddy estimated its age between 6 and 7 years.

My success has gone up dramatically from the blind more than the decoys but it takes a long time before you know an area well enough to set up a blind almost as a permanent fixture.

I hunt the same property every year and set up my blind 3 weeks before the season opens.

My success has gone up dramatically from the blind more than the decoys but it takes a long time before you know an area well enough to set up a blind almost as a permanent fixture.

I completely agree.  I cut my teeth learning to turkey hunt on the Sparta property my buddy owns that I manage and made every mistake a turkey hunter could make (still do at times).  But I now know where they roost, where they dust, where they feed, and where they nest, so that changes things a lot.  I also like ground blinds although some are simply stacks of firewood my logger puts up near our good turkey grounds that I sit against or within and sometimes it is a pop-up I put out for a few weeks and brush in well.  I now kill 90% of my birds in one of two locations depending if they roost down in the swamp or up on the mountain, but both spots are in line with each other.  

I have decoys that I use (not sure what kind right now) but they don't seem to do much for the birds,only a couple times have I had birds come to them. I read here one time that someone told them that the type of decoys that you use makes a big difference. What do you guys like to use and had luck with. In all honesty,I really don't like carrying decoys around with me but I would like to get into using them more.

I've had luck with and without them. Having said that, I have two that are always in my bag - a Lodge Fitters foam hen and my FUnky Chicken decoy. The hen is good quality and has good coloring, but I don't need perfect as I'm just trying to get the Tom's attention. Now he knows that there is a hen in the area, but what really drives the Tom's crazy is the Funky Chicken. They see that and it's like, "Oh no you didn'" and come charging in. It also depends on location -- public or private. I found that the decoys -- at least on public ground, only work for the first week. After that, I just sit in a place where I think they're moving and try and cut them off.

I've had luck with and without them. Having said that, I have two that are always in my bag - a Lodge Fitters foam hen and my FUnky Chicken decoy. The hen is good quality and has good coloring, but I don't need perfect as I'm just trying to get the Tom's attention. Now he knows that there is a hen in the area, but what really drives the Tom's crazy is the Funky Chicken. They see that and it's like, "Oh no you didn'" and come charging in. It also depends on location -- public or private. I found that the decoys -- at least on public ground, only work for the first week. After that, I just sit in a place where I think they're moving and try and cut them off.

"oh no you didn't" LMAO! :rofl: