IGNORED

So I weighed my Blackhorn 209 loads....

nmc02

After suggestions from a few reloaders, I decided to weigh my BH209 loads that I "eyeballed " using the BH209 powder tubes.

All of the powder tubes were 7 to 10 grains over the 84 grains suggested (120 volumetric units = 84 grains). 

When I weighed to 84 grains, the BH Powder tubes line says 110 volumetric units. 

I am not sure it will make a huge difference. However, it will be consistent and consistency is a must for accuracy. At very least, I save a few bucks by measuring. 

So my experience with Blackhorn 209 and weight, which I do weigh each load. So I use 80 grains of Blackhorn by weight, 60 for my daughter. When I put the 80 grains in a Blackhorn tube I come up with 100 grains by volume, mathematically it should be 110 grains by volume. When I put the same 80 grains into Muzzleloader brand preloaders it does come out to 110 grains by volume. 

Being I love how 80 grains of powder performs with the 290 gr Barnes I will use a scale to ensure the same load no matter what speed loader I use. 

Edited by Ron

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees. 

9 minutes ago, Ron said:

So my experience with Blackhorn 209 and weight, which I do weigh each load. So I use 80 grains of Blackhorn by weight, 60 for my daughter. When I put the 80 grains in a Blackhorn tube I come up with 100 grains by volume, mathematically it should be 110 grains by volume. When I put the same 80 grains into Muzzleloader brand preloaders it does come out to 110 grains by volume. 

Being I love how 80 grains of powder performs with the 290 gr Barnes I will use a scale to ensure the same load no matter what speed loader I use. 

I, too shoot 290 barnes. I will never change bullets...EVER. I bought enough to last a lifetime.