IGNORED

11/9 Check In

Greybeard

9 hours ago, Farmingdales Finest said:

Yesterday was the first day I took out the recurve this year and promptly shot over the top of two bucks. I know I need to hold lower with the recurve but seems wrong when the tip of the arrow is actually held below the body but when you don't the results are what I wrote.  Deer were all over last night.

This morning the woods were as dead as I have seen this year.

Good luck to whomever gets out today!

Tomorrow going striper fishing.

Are you trying to use the point of your arrow as a sight? I don’t even see my arrow when I shoot.

Edited by Nomad

17 hours ago, Nomad said:

Are you trying to use the point of your arrow as a sight? I don’t even see my arrow when I shoot.

Yes I am gap shooting.  I was using a fixed crawl for hunting and crawling the string for indoor.  Last spring I went to the barebow boot camp to support the barebow USA archery team. Best $150 I ever spent on archery.  Had 9 of the best barebow archers and coaches in the country for two days.  

I worked with Matt Yacca the Pan Am champ and he fixed my alignment.  It made me more consistent but it also increased my Draw length by over 2”!  That was great until a few weeks before the season because as I got better my scores went up but my DL increased more and now with my anchor my nock was hitting my glasses lens and actually chipped them. I was shooting great but it was too loud for hunting so I lowered my anchor point and shot great for 2 days but then muscle memory got in the way and I would anchor higher and my groups went all over the place.

I lost confidence and went back to the compound. Well that is too easy. In my first 9 sits of the year I shot 4 deer including one of my best bucks on public land.   I started practicing again using my original anchor and gap shooting but with the pressure of the deer infront of me I aimed on the bottom of the chest and not about knee height and shot over both. 

This is what I am capable of with the barebow.  And the buck I shot with the compound this fall. 

24F01D04-3535-4D0E-9708-AC569B35D40F.jpeg

5EF26130-F622-49C7-B080-509DE9996C32.png

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

29 minutes ago, Farmingdales Finest said:

Yes I am gap shooting.  I was using a fixed crawl for hunting and crawling the string for indoor.  Last spring I went to the barebow boot camp to support the barebow USA archery team. Best $150 I ever spent on archery.  Had 9 of the best barebow archers and coaches in the country for two days.  

I worked with Matt Yacca the Pan Am champ and he fixed my alignment.  It made me more consistent but it also increased my Draw length by over 2”!  That was great until a few weeks before the season because as I got better my scores went up but my DL increased more and now with my anchor my nock was hitting my glasses lens and actually chipped them. I was shooting great but it was too loud for hunting so I lowered my anchor point and shot great for 2 days but then muscle memory got in the way and I would anchor higher and my groups went all over the place.

I lost confidence and went back to the compound. Well that is too easy. In my first 9 sits of the year I shot 4 deer including one of my best bucks on public land.   I started practicing again using my original anchor and gap shooting but with the pressure of the deer infront of me I aimed on the bottom of the chest and not about knee height and shot over both. 

This is what I am capable of with the barebow.  And the buck I shot with the compound this fall. 

24F01D04-3535-4D0E-9708-AC569B35D40F.jpeg

5EF26130-F622-49C7-B080-509DE9996C32.png

Nice shooting!

Yes, I am familiar with all the different types of shooting.  I didn't know anything about your background.

I've been shooting the longbow since 1984 and a recurve before that.  I make my own self bows out of hickory from trees I cut.  I use them and quite often bows from Hill, Brackenbury and Zipper.  Usually I'm shooting cedar shafts with turkey fletching that I make.

I shoot bows between 90lbs and 55lbs, but towards the lower end as I get older. lol

I'm a purely instinctive shooter and am happy with the results.  I could see a need for gap or split vision shooting out past 25 yards or so.  1-20 I look at the spot and hit.  20-30 I raise up just a hair.  I try to set up for 10-15 yard shots.  But, everyone has their style and preferences.

Best of luck this season!

5 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Nice shooting!

Yes, I am familiar with all the different types of shooting.  I didn't know anything about your background.

I've been shooting the longbow since 1984 and a recurve before that.  I make my own self bows out of hickory from trees I cut.  I use them and quite often bows from Hill, Brackenbury and Zipper.  Usually I'm shooting cedar shafts with turkey fletching that I make.

I shoot bows between 90lbs and 55lbs, but towards the lower end as I get older. lol

I'm a purely instinctive shooter and am happy with the results.  I could see a need for gap or split vision shooting out past 25 yards or so.  1-20 I look at the spot and hit.  20-30 I raise up just a hair.  I try to set up for 10-15 yard shots.  But, everyone has their style and preferences.

Thanks for the compliment. I have been shooting a recurve since the week after Thanksgiving the year before last.  I have to go and will come back later and edit to give more background. 

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

19 hours ago, Nomad said:

Nice shooting!

So again thanks for the compliment on my shooting. I have been shooting a compound since 1982 in HS. I didn't start hunting until I was in college because I had no one to take or teach me how to hunt. My first hunt was 1985, I started shooting 3D regularly in 1992, but didn't get my first deer until 1993. It took a long time to figure out and make mistakes on my own. People today have it much easier with all of the Youtube video's that are teaching you and you can still learn by looking at what the hunter is set up in even if it wasn't recorded as educational Back then it was just a few magazines. Most of what I learned about deer was from Leonard Lee Rue's book Deer of North America. I read that cover to cover at least 6x.

Since those early days I have killed about 125-150 deer with the bow and a driving reason of why I took up the recurve in the last week of Nov. 2021. I got an ILF bow from Lancaster Archery and after a couple weeks of shooting about 50 arrows a morning before work I felt I could kill a deer inside 20 yards. I was fortunate to take a doe the next to last week of winter bow in Feb. 2022.  Last year  I also became a level 2 archery instructor and coach the UBNJ S3DA team that we started in May of this year. We had 7 kids and in our first tournament in PA 5 of the 7 finished in the top 3 of their class including two champions.  I also am the Monmouth County Rep for the UBNJ.

Over the years I have offered to meet with many people looking for help on this site as well as FB and mentored them on what to look for scouting for deer as well as the most common question of not knowing what to get or how to use a treestand. I have met people at various parks and brought my stands both hang on and climbers as well as safety harness and shown them how to use it all. 

Edited by Farmingdales Finest