IGNORED

Political hack leading US Fish and Wildlife Service

19 hours ago, JFC1 said:

You're right. But then again, we had a guy in the presidency who looked like an orange prune but no one called him a fruit, even if he was unqualified ;)

Just stirring the pot lightly on a day when my health prevents me from hitting the back bay and I'm stuck online. Forgive me, for I have sinned 

even if he was unqualified 

Yes indeed qualifications are a must:hmmmer:...Sometimes that is

Joe Biden's struggles more worrisome than laughable

Edited by OldMenRule

4 minutes ago, OldMenRule said:

even if he was unqualified 

Yes indeed qualifications are a must:hmmmer:...Sometimes that is

Joe Biden's struggles more worrisome than laughable

I agree. Qualifications are important. Biden has them, formally, as a swamp thing. But that's just the problem, along with the fact that he was known as an idiot in the Senate long before reaching retirement age. And to top that off, his predecessor seems to have had few qualifications beyond serial litigation to cover up malfeasance, lying, scapegoating as part of simplistic magical thinking, and a record of bankruptcy and fraudulent business activities as determined by courts long before, as well as during, his political career. Both are disgraces to our great nation. 

Yet neither of the last, or the present, president is the only causes of our Republic's troubles.  But both are powerful symptoms of major problems. Just like Hilary

But back to an earlier poster's point--it's important to read what's posted here before we opine. The Fish and Wildlife leader in question seems to be doing a good job, as judged by people across the political spectrum. What an awesome exception in America today!

23 minutes ago, JFC1 said:

I agree. Qualifications are important. Biden has them, formally, as a swamp thing. But that's just the problem, along with the fact that he was known as an idiot in the Senate long before reaching retirement age. And to top that off, his predecessor seems to have had few qualifications beyond serial litigation to cover up malfeasance, lying, scapegoating as part of simplistic magical thinking, and a record of bankruptcy and fraudulent business activities as determined by courts long before, as well as during, his political career. Both are disgraces to our great nation. 

Yet neither of the last, or the present, president is the only causes of our Republic's troubles.  But both are powerful symptoms of major problems. Just like Hilary

Politics, academia, etc. Cleary the standards for what is considered qualifications has been degraded significantly and I'll disagree, the current administration and it's toxic ideology have a great deal to do with the Republics troubles.      

2 minutes ago, OldMenRule said:

Politics, academia, etc. Cleary the standards for what is considered qualifications has been degraded significantly and I'll disagree, the current administration and it's toxic ideology have a great deal to do with the Republics troubles.      

Haberdasher, movie actor, peanut farmer, and recipient of dad's real estate empire....what qualified men! Lincoln rolls over in his grave. 

I guess being the well-bred son of Harvard or Yale--maybe Princeton in a pinch--is a "real" qualification?  Or should we just ask Jeb and George? Or the Supreme Court?

Unless backed up by analysis and data, presentist arguments about degradation are often ideological, or evidence that the US educational system has had problems producing enough truly competent thinkers for much longer than you're able to make out. It's a circular problem that can be remedied only through hard work and self-examination.  

Perhaps you can enlighten me in my own self examination: Please provide detailed and factual evidence as to how standards in academic qualifications have been lowered. Your disagreement with popular media misrepresentations of what really goes on is not factual evidence, and is already well-documented here. Please note that participation trophy and Post-COVID cheating culture so rampant in our primary and secondary schools has not yet had time to filter up into the ranks of professors. It will, if not stopped. My own undergraduates are too often unable to read an entire book, or watch anything longer than a Tik Tok video. And that's not because they're stupid, but because they've been taught that that's OK, and facts and real education don't matter. Nor does sustained argument. Only likes and trolling. So let's see some facts from and for the Old farts.  

PS I'm surprised that someone who claims to work in the medical area is unable to consider what a symptom is, and may do, and thus a more complex and complete pathway into understanding our maladies.

Edited by JFC1

4 minutes ago, JFC1 said:

Haberdasher, movie actor, peanut farmer, and recipient of dad's real estate empire.

I guess being the well-bred son of Harvard or Yale is a real qualification? 

Presentist arguments about degradation are ideological, or evidence that the US educational system has had problems producing competent thinkers for much longer than you're able to make out. It's a circular problem that can be remedied only through hard work and self-examination.  

Presentist arguments about degradation are ideological.

Of course such a comment is as they say on the streets, bullshit and to be expected from a participant in that same ideology. Best not to discuss or acknowledge a problem because to do so might actually be the first step in correcting said problem.

The US education system produces many thinkers unfortunately the majority of which appear locked into a particular mindset of which neither hard work or introspection are considered saving graces.  

Just now, OldMenRule said:

Presentist arguments about degradation are ideological.

Of course such a comment is as they say on the streets, bullshit and to be expected from a participant in that same ideology. Best not to discuss or acknowledge a problem because to do so might actually be the first step in correcting said problem.

The US education system produces many thinkers unfortunately the majority of which appear locked into a particular mindset of which neither hard work or introspection are considered saving graces.  

check out comment edited as you replied. sorry I'm so slow. 

pointing out ideological blinders is not a step in resolving a problem?

I have edited my comment to take out negative evaluations of your thinking. it doesn't advance anything here. 

have a nice day.  try to do your reading, well.

hey, you gonna hunt or fish this year? there are lots of people who know a whole lot more than I on this site who can provide guidelines and tips. It might be a great area of helpful and profitable discussion for us all. All Hail the seemingly kinda decent leadership of Fish and Wildlife!

Edited by JFC1

8 minutes ago, JFC1 said:

check out comment edited as you replied. sorry I'm so slow. 

pointing out ideological blinders is not a step in resolving a problem?

I have edited my comment to take out negative evaluations of your thinking. it doesn't advance anything here. 

have a nice day.  try to do your reading, well.

hey, you gonna hunt or fish this year? there are lots of people who know a whole lot more than I on this site who can provide guidelines and tips. It might be a great area of helpful and profitable discussion for us all. All Hail the seemingly kinda decent leadership of Fish and Wildlife!

And yet here you are commenting on politics. Such  hypocrisy. 

You have a great day and feel better.  

Just now, OldMenRule said:

And yet here you are commenting on politics. Such  hypocrisy. 

You have a great day and feel better.  

"It might be a great area of helpful and profitable discussion for us all."

The use of the subjunctive confuses many English speakers. I thought that using a modal verb instead would help you out. Sorry. How about this one: "In addition to having a great day, why not try to learn about and discuss what this site is aimed at, even just a little bit more?" 

I was just looking at some cool old school tins from Salty's         https://cart.saltwaterplugs.com/classic-surf-tins.html     What do you think?

15 minutes ago, JFC1 said:

"It might be a great area of helpful and profitable discussion for us all."

The use of the subjunctive confuses many English speakers. I thought that using a modal verb instead would help you out. Sorry. How about this one: "In addition to having a great day, why not try to learn about and discuss what this site is aimed at, even just a little bit more?" 

I was just looking at some cool old school tins from Salty's         https://cart.saltwaterplugs.com/classic-surf-tins.html     What do you think?

why not try to learn about and discuss what this site is aimed at, even just a little bit more? 

Perhaps you should practice what you post but such introspection and understanding is difficult. 

Of course as a confused English speaker I always appreciate guidance.