IGNORED

Turkeys must Be Moving Alot

Fred Flintstone

Been out since the New Jersey Fall Turkey Opening Day. Found some Sign somewhere near Sussex County.  I might give it 1 more day at least. This morning ,I sat for 90 minutes  on that walmart Step- Stool behind me. Heavy mast crop this Fall!! And the Big Ol Birds are moving. Pic below. Heavy Fog this morning  as well.

20221101_082835.jpg

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

5 hours ago, SPEARFISH said:

Can’t get away from them

39F1F919-70BD-4ED8-825D-CC9312446083.jpeg

Nice! Members here who live in Central to South New Jersey have the Tremendous  Turkey Numbers for sure. The pic above shows it.  I really need to get on some Private Lands in Warren County .Tired of calling in Black Bears during the Spring Season in Sussex County- lol!

2 hours ago, Merkel said:

Have been seeing lots of hens on a couple of different properties but no males.  Haven’t seen this many turkeys in a couple of years.  May have to harvest a hen. 

I am currently  feeding a Flock of 10 Turkeys twice a day. I walk among  them with a big Bowl of Birdseed.

Only 1 Jake out of 10 Turkeys!!

No Hunting down here past my Dead End Road, but similar to what you have seen. A bunch of Hens!

47 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

I am currently  feeding a Flock of 10 Turkeys twice a day. I walk among  them with a big Bowl of Birdseed.

Only 1 Jake out of 10 Turkeys!!

No Hunting down here past my Dead End Road, but similar to what you have seen. A bunch of Hens!

Have you harvested hens in previous Fall seasons?

9 minutes ago, Merkel said:

Have you harvested hens in previous Fall seasons?

I took 1 Hen in NY last Fall. Took plenty of Hens from the mid 1990s until around 2015- which was the NY-- DEC major Fall Turkey change of moving the Fall Turkey opening day of October  1st and moved the Season 2 weeks into mid October.  

Of course Pheasant, Grouse, Rabbit,Timberdoodles, etc all remained at the traditional  October 1st opener. The Turkeys became like Ghosts with 2 weeks of Pressure put on them. Even Bow Deer now opens on October 1st.

4 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

I took 1 Hen in NY last Fall. Took plenty of Hens from the mid 1990s until around 2015- which was the NY-- DEC major Fall Turkey change of moving the Fall Turkey opening day of October  1st and moved the Season 2 weeks into mid October.  

Of course Pheasant, Grouse, Rabbit,Timberdoodles, etc all remained at the traditional  October 1st opener. The Turkeys became like Ghosts with 2 weeks of Pressure put on them. Even Bow Deer now opens on October 1st.

Asked because I’ve only taken Toms but not seeing any has me thinking about taking a hen. Just curious if people harvest hens with same enthusiasm. I know it’s legal in Fall.  Will use a crossbow. 

2 hours ago, Jaa5 said:

Hey JVP1983, where you finding them public turkeys? I've not seen much in Tzones 14 or 16 ?

Appreciate any guidance.

Find the WMA’s near fresh cut fields.  Walk the edges and look for the game trails along the edge of the fields and keep an eye out for tracks/droppings.  Takes a few days of scouting to figure out the routes from roost to food, but if you can find one set up along one of the routes.  Took me the spring and all of this fall season so far to figure them out.  Zone 21 is definitely holding gobblers.  The two I’ve been chasing gobbled 50 yards behind me and were going nuts over my yelps on a pot call, but my blind was facing the wrong way (infuriating birds sometimes!).  I’ve hopefully got them roosted and set up right on there breakfast route.  But who knows lol, like I said, tomorrow’s the day!  Good luck.

5 hours ago, Merkel said:

Asked because I’ve only taken Toms but not seeing any has me thinking about taking a hen. Just curious if people harvest hens with same enthusiasm. I know it’s legal in Fall.  Will use a crossbow. 

And if you get a Hen- you can make a Wingbone for the Spring Season.