IGNORED

Rabbit Hunting in NJ still possible?

Max123

8 hours ago, Codaboy said:

Welcome to the site.
My buddies and my self stomp the briar's in central ocean county, and we do well with shooting rabbits. 3 seasons ago 3 of us got 22 rabbit s with no dog s..

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

I keep hearing about these briars... how does one find them in a wma?

3 hours ago, mike033089 said:

Pretty much anything that has thorns and you look at and your first thought it “f that why would anyone go near that”. You walk right into that crap and stomp around 

Got it. I'll give it a shot when I go out on Thursday. Thanks Dude.

34 minutes ago, Max123 said:

Got it. I'll give it a shot when I go out on Thursday. Thanks Dude.

Shoot me a pm- may have a decent spot to point you in the right direction on.

Separately, this early in the year is tough. Wearing the briar pants/jacket unless the temps go way down is not that fun at least for me. It's also still very thick and can be tough to even see a rabbit running in a field.

I keep hearing about these briars... how does one find them in a wma?
We mostly hunt township property. All the years I have driven deer in central jersey
Helps finding rabbit s not to hard. I have been seeing a good number of bunny's drive the dirt roads this dry spring was good for the baby's.

Shoot me a pm- may have a decent spot to point you in the right direction on.

Separately, this early in the year is tough. Wearing the briar pants/jacket unless the temps go way down is not that fun at least for me. It's also still very thick and can be tough to even see a rabbit running in a field.
3-4 guys working together. Knowing how to rabbit hunt together makes a big difference with no dogs. by yourself it hard to kill rabbits, but not impossible.

3 hours ago, Codaboy said:

3-4 guys working together. Knowing how to rabbit hunt together makes a big difference with no dogs. by yourself it hard to kill rabbits, but not impossible.

How does that make it easier? When I was on the farm, I would just walk around and shoot them. They wouldn't even be hiding much. It was like a hunter heaven.

How does that make it easier? When I was on the farm, I would just walk around and shoot them. They wouldn't even be hiding much. It was like a hunter heaven.
Not like that here in the pines. With the extra guys you surround the briar hole while two of us jump in the briar's The other two get up front and watch 3 sides. Those guys can shoot the back and sides going out. The guys stomping that patch can only shoot back. That's how we get most of our rabbits. If we are in taller grass we get 5-7 yards apart al look up ahead and find the openings and hope you see the rabbit run thru it to get a shot.

In September at assunpink they can be sitting on the paths but they are not easy to shoot. I tried a 20 gauge and shot half a box of shells without getting a single rabbit. It’s hard to get in range before they jump back into the bush. I think a 12g might be the way to go

23 minutes ago, Swamprat said:

I didn't realize rabbit opened early. Always assumed it was the same time as pheasant. Hhmmmm

I always look forward to the small game season opening in September. I opted to go fishing instead on opening day this past weekend, but I'm taking my airgun out tomorrow for some squirrelin' :up: