IGNORED

U.S Fish & Wildlife ban on lead ammo and weights incoming

16 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I had asked a CO once about this scenario: Suppose I want to waterfowl hunt (lead shot prohibited) in the morning and then after a few hours, go hunt some crows with lead (lead shot allowed). Am I allowed to have lead shot in my bag (but not loaded in the gun) so I can go right from the duck blind to the crow hunting spot and avoid having to go back home or back to the truck to swap ammo?

I was told flatly, "No. If you have lead shot anywhere in your possession while duck hunting, you are in violation of the law regardless."

The same could apply here. If you intend to hunt multi species, each one may have different regs for them. For instance, Waterfowl and Pheasant. Having ammo for both at the same time while hunting either is clearly a violation. 

3 minutes ago, archer36 said:

The same could apply here. If you intend to hunt multi species, each one may have different regs for them. For instance, Waterfowl and Pheasant. Having ammo for both at the same time while hunting either is clearly a violation. 

Not true you can have steel #4s and you are good as number 4s are the largest you can have for pheasant and smallest for duck

3 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Not true you can have steel #4s and you are good as number 4s are the largest you can have for pheasant and smallest for duck

You are not fully understanding me. If you are Waterfowl hunting and have ANY lead shot on you, you are in violation. 

You just stated a scenario that fits your needs. 

If I hunted Waterfowl on my Club's Semi Wild with the intention of doing both, it is problematic to have lead and steel on you. If you are Pheasant hunting at the time, it isn't. But the reverse is. 

Edited by archer36

Just now, archer36 said:

You are not fully understanding me. If you are Waterfowl hunting and have ANY lead shot on you, you are in violation. 

You said you couldn't have ammo for both I gave you an instance where you could. You are correct that you can't have lead shot while water fowling .  There is nothing saying you can't have steel for small game so in fact you can have ammo for both small game and water fowl

Just now, vdep217 said:

You said you couldn't have ammo for both I gave you an instance where you could. You are correct that you can't have lead shot while water fowling .  There is nothing saying you can't have steel for small game so in fact you can have ammo for both small game and water fowl

Yes. Different scenarios apply. But who uses steel for Pheasant hunting? The pellets are hard on your teeth. :rofl:

27 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Yes. Different scenarios apply. But who uses steel for Pheasant hunting? The pellets are hard on your teeth. :rofl:

No need for different scenarios.   You want to squirrel pheasant and rabbit hunt but still be able to shoot ducks if you jump them carry number 4 steel shot and you are good to go

6 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

No need for different scenarios.   You want to squirrel pheasant and rabbit hunt but still be able to shoot ducks if you jump them carry number 4 steel shot and you are good to go

I never said you were incorrect. But you wouldn't give me an inch when I outlined the opposite scenario.  It seems you go out of your way to contest my posts. Lighten up. :lookaround:

49 minutes ago, archer36 said:

1 minute ago, archer36 said:

I never said you were incorrect. But you wouldn't give me an inch when I outlined the opposite scenario.  It seems you go out of your way to contest my posts. Lighten up. :lookaround:

You didn't out line an opposite scenario you stated as a fact you couldn't have ammo for both water fowl and pheasant and it would be a violation.  I stated fact proving it wrong that is all.  

55 minutes ago, archer36 said:

If I hunted Waterfowl on my Club's Semi Wild with the intention of doing both, it is problematic to have lead and steel on you. If you are Pheasant hunting at the time, it isn't. But the reverse is. 

If you are hunting on a semi wild and want to hunt both only carry steel and you are legal.  The way you first said it that you couldn't carry ammo for both could have implication you couldn't small game hunt with steel

Edited by vdep217