IGNORED

U.S Fish & Wildlife ban on lead ammo and weights incoming

I keep hearing about how lead causes problems in the environment. I've never seen any studies or their peer reviewed comments on this. Lead is a naturally occurring element - so I'm not sure how just the mere presence of lead contaminates land. Lead DUST causes us problems, but just lead itself ... I need to see peer reviewed studies.

It is getting crazy about this lead hysteria. I recently had a need to buy another lead sacrificial anode for my trolling motor - one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E8BJKI

It's been unavailable for a while - so I actually emailed Minn Kota and asked how I can buy one. You know what they told me? "The government told us to stop selling them." That's what they said.

See: https://northlandmarine.com/products/minn-kota-prop-nut-kit-g ("Beginning in October of 2019, Minn Kota eliminated the sacrificial anode from all of its products. ... due to recent environmental regulations, Minn Kota can no longer offer the sacrificial anode as an accessory or part.")

2 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I keep hearing about how lead causes problems in the environment. I've never seen any studies or their peer reviewed comments on this. Lead is a naturally occurring element - so I'm not sure how just the mere presence of lead contaminates land. Lead DUST causes us problems, but just lead itself ... I need to see peer reviewed studies.

It is getting crazy about this lead hysteria. I recently had a need to buy another lead sacrificial anode for my trolling motor - one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E8BJKI

It's been unavailable for a while - so I actually emailed Minn Kota and asked how I can buy one. You know what they told me? "The government told us to stop selling them." That's what they said.

See: https://northlandmarine.com/products/minn-kota-prop-nut-kit-g ("Beginning in October of 2019, Minn Kota eliminated the sacrificial anode from all of its products. ... due to recent environmental regulations, Minn Kota can no longer offer the sacrificial anode as an accessory or part.")

I believe the problem is that Birds and fish eat the small shot or weights which  gives them Lead poisoning which in turn when they are eaten by other animals gives those animals lead poisoning. They can't eat the lead that is in the rocks with other minerals.

Edited by toxo

Weird I was just listening to the most recent “Meateater” pod cast and they were discussing this. Had one of the people that is responsible for California condors still existing on. He had some interesting points and was compelling is some aspects. I won’t try to explain because I’ll butcher it. But if you’re open minded you should listen. You may change your mind about lead. I did. 

Now all that being said I am opposed to a lead ban. As is the speaker of this podcast and he explains why. I urge you to listen, it’s very interesting. 

When I lived in Maine, there wasn’t a ban in place but they encouraged non toxic shot. And the state encouraged most all retailers have every shot size and a non toxic (steel) at a comparable price. Often the price was the same. Hard to find 7.5 steel here unless ordering online. Most of the NE and Washington  state have banned lead sinkers, but still allow jig heads. Most citing the common loon and lead being responsible for ~48% of their deaths. 

Shot pellets are claimed it affected avian scavengers the most due to a higher stomach acid ph to break down more into the blood stream. 

I prefer copper bullets and ‘mono flex’ (hornadys sst lead free but won’t say what it is), and no rabbit or squirrel has shaken off a load of steel yet either. 

1 hour ago, DonW said:

No even allowed to have lead in your possession.

I had asked a CO once about this scenario: Suppose I want to waterfowl hunt (lead shot prohibited) in the morning and then after a few hours, go hunt some crows with lead (lead shot allowed). Am I allowed to have lead shot in my bag (but not loaded in the gun) so I can go right from the duck blind to the crow hunting spot and avoid having to go back home or back to the truck to swap ammo?

I was told flatly, "No. If you have lead shot anywhere in your possession while duck hunting, you are in violation of the law regardless."

5 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I had asked a CO once about this scenario: Suppose I want to waterfowl hunt (lead shot prohibited) in the morning and then after a few hours, go hunt some crows with lead (lead shot allowed). Am I allowed to have lead shot in my bag (but not loaded in the gun) so I can go right from the duck blind to the crow hunting spot and avoid having to go back home or back to the truck to swap ammo?

I was told flatly, "No. If you have lead shot anywhere in your possession while duck hunting, you are in violation of the law regardless."

No different than having salmon eggs in your vest when you want to first hit a WTS then jump over to a stocked stream, or vice versa. Not allowed period.