IGNORED

Decoy weights,cord,rigging. Ideas..Suggestions

Did you buy pre rigged or made your own?

When i initially bought duck decoys i bought the cotton like braided cord and used bank weights and made my own setups.  Found out the hard way after a few uses how much of a tangled mess they can get. 

The pre rigged with the egg weight,snap swivel are not cheap..well to me. Actually if it has to do with waterfowl hunting. Cheap is not it. 

Just ordered a spool of pvc decoy cord,snap swivels and cord crimps. I have a crimper tool already. 

18 minutes ago, rem870hunter1 said:

Did you buy pre rigged or made your own?

When i initially bought duck decoys i bought the cotton like braided cord and used bank weights and made my own setups.  Found out the hard way after a few uses how much of a tangled mess they can get. 

The pre rigged with the egg weight,snap swivel are not cheap..well to me. Actually if it has to do with waterfowl hunting. Cheap is not it. 

Just ordered a spool of pvc decoy cord,snap swivels and cord crimps. I have a crimper tool already. 

The bungee shock cords and j weights are great.   If you plan on hunting in any kind of current the pre rigged egg sinkers won't hold. I hunt the bay j weights work well or 4 oz pyramid sinkers hold I'm pretty rough conditions.  The bungee shock cord allows you to pull almost any weight tight n u can loop it on itself to hold n not tangle

15 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

The bungee shock cords and j weights are great.   If you plan on hunting in any kind of current the pre rigged egg sinkers won't hold. I hunt the bay j weights work well or 4 oz pyramid sinkers hold I'm pretty rough conditions.  The bungee shock cord allows you to pull almost any weight tight n u can loop it on itself to hold n not tangle

I've not hunted in areas with moving water in a way i'd worry about them not holding. But i may in the future. 

I was going to put 3oz egg weights on the cords. I might get 4oz instead. Buying them somewhere else. Or the J weights

I'm just sick of the tangles from the cord i was using.

53 minutes ago, rem870hunter1 said:

I've not hunted in areas with moving water in a way i'd worry about them not holding. But i may in the future. 

I was going to put 3oz egg weights on the cords. I might get 4oz instead. Buying them somewhere else. Or the J weights

I'm just sick of the tangles from the cord i was using.

Pyramid are better egg and bank sinkers will roll if wind or current

i use pyramid sinkers like the ones you use for surf casting. i havent had any float away even in a decent current. other then that i use heavy mono. and make sure i wrap them all up. i carry in a mesh decoy bag. i never had any major tangles. just little ones that were easily un tangled with cold finger and a head lamp. however, im only carrying 6-10 decoys. 

How are you wrapping up the cord? Really shouldn't be getting tangles. The PVC cord will freeze and can break, you'll be replacing it 2-3 times more than the cord your currently using.   Go with the J weights w/bungees.  

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers:

1 minute ago, Cousin Brown said:

How are you wrapping up the cord? Really shouldn't be getting tangles. The PVC cord will freeze and can break, you'll be replacing it 2-3 times more than the cord your currently using.   Go with the J weights w/bungees.  

I wind it around the keel...however the weight dangles and they're usually what is tangling.

I do transport and store them in a mesh bag. I have 2 dozen

3 minutes ago, rem870hunter1 said:

I wind it around the keel...however the weight dangles and they're usually what is tangling.

I do transport and store them in a mesh bag. I have 2 dozen

Then you definitely want the j weights w/ bungee....that will solve your problem.

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers: