IGNORED

Snare card

14 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I was wondering what you all are talking about :) I took the trapper's ed course two or three years ago and I didn't get anything other than the trapper's ed card. I wasn't given anything called a "snare certification." and nothing was ever mentioned about needing a second card. In my profile, all it shows is "Trapper Education". 

And I was able to purchase a trappers license that first year. Sounds like a "snare certification" was some older thing they got rid of.

Mine was sent to me in the mail by the State some time after going through the course. The certificate received from the course enabled a license agent to unlock that privilege and print out your initial license when purchasing it for the first time

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Page 66 of the Digest  requires it:

Trapping Licenses and Permits1

Most licenses and permits may be purchased at license agents or online at NJ.WildlifeLicense.com.

Possession of a valid Trapping License is required to trap and must be openly displayed on back and cannot be covered by a pack or harness.

Must also carry Snare Course Completion Card1 whenever using any cable restraint.

Regulations in red are new this year.

License or Permit Type / Fee

Requirements

How to Obtain

Youth Trapping

Age 12–15: Free
Valid through Dec. 31 the year youth turns 16

• Must be at least 12 years of age to obtain, regard- less of residency

Pass an approved Trapper Education course (call (856) 629-0552 to register).

Present course completion card at any license agent.

Resident Trapping

Age 16+, including active military, regardless of residency: $32.50

Valid through Dec. 31

Must be NJ resident for at least 6 months or active military stationed in NJ.

Required in the year license holder turns 17, and annually thereafter.

A first-time license must be obtained from a license agent by showing a Trapper Education course completion card, or with a prior resident trapping license from any state.

All subsequent licenses can be purchased at any license agent or online (web address above table).

NJ National Guard Resident Trapping

Free
Valid through Dec. 31

Must active NJNG member who has completed Initial Active Duty Training.

Confirm you are active in the system (call (609) 530-6866).

• Availableatalllicenseagents

Disabled Veteran Resident Trapping

Free
Valid through Dec. 31

• Proofofservice-connecteddisability(>10%)fromVA. • Proof of honorable discharge (DD-214 or similar).
• NJDriverLicenseorotherproofofresidency.
• TrapperEducationCourseCompletionCard

Eligible veterans must initially be certified by submitting application and required documentation via U.S. mail to NJ Div. Fish & Wildlife, MC 501-03, PO Box 420, Trenton NJ 08625-0420. For more info, see NJFishandWildlife. com/dvinfo.htm.

Oncecertified,veteranscanobtainlicenseatlicense agents or online (web address above table).

Non-Resident Trapping

Age 16+: $200.50 Valid through Dec. 31

Non-resident of NJ or NJ resident for less than 6 months

Required in the year holder turns 17, and annually thereafter

A first-time license must be obtained from a license agent by showing a Trapper Education Course Completion Card, or with a prior resident trapping license from any state.

All subsequent licenses can be purchased at any license agent or online (web address above table).

Farmer License Exemption

Farm – must meet qualifications under NJ Farmland Assessment Act of 1964. See www.state.nj.us/agricul- ture/divisions/anr/pdf/farmlandassessmentoverview.pdf.

No license or rifle permit required for farm property on which you reside.

Must be immediate family member* and reside on the farm.

MusthaveaConservationIdentification(CID)number.

Must have Snare Course Completion Card to use

cable restraints.

If you purchased any license since 2006, you should already have a CID number.

If not, click on the shopping cart icon at NJFishandWildlife.com and follow instructions to complete a profile. Choose the option to Print an Identification Card. A card will print with your 9-digit CID.

* Immediate family members include: spouse, mother, father, parent, child, grandchild, stepchild, stepparent, legal guardian, mother-in-law, father-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, grandparent, great-grandparent, brother-in-law, and sister-in-law of farm owner or lessee who resides on the farm.

Special Beaver Trapping Permit:

$17

Beaver Damage Control Permit:

$17 (during open season only)

Special Otter Trapping Permit:

$2
Permit valid Dec. 26–Feb. 9

Must have a valid license or meet Farmer Exemption to use any Special or Damage Permit during the pre- scribed open season.

May be used only in Management Zone specified on permit.

Beaver Damage Control Permits may only be used at specified site.

ApplyOct.1–31atanylicenseagentoronlineat www.NJ.WildlifeLicense.com. Permit issued through lottery.

To review, change or check application, go to www.NJ.WildlifeLicense.com.

Check permit award status in your profile.

Unclaimedpermitsbecomeavailableforover-the-counter

sale. Trappers may purchase multiple Special Beaver Per- mit, but may only have one Special Otter Permit.

Rifle Permit
• Youth2: $6
• Adult:$10.50

Required to use .22 cal. and .22 cal. short ammo to dis- patch trapped animals, except muskrat3.

Permit valid from July 1 to June 30

Successful completion of a Firearm Hunter Education Course which includes use of rifle.

Possession of written landowner permission to use firearm for dispatch within any safety zone.

• Purchase at any license agent or online (web address above table).

• UsetheLandowner-Hunter/TrapperAgreementCardon page 39–40.

Duplicate or Lost License / Permit

$2 each

• May be purchased or replaced at any license agent or online (web address above table).

1 2 3

New trappers, farmers or older trappers needing Snare Course Completion Card will have to pass an approved Trapper Education course. Call (856) 629-0552 for information. Trappers under age 14 using any firearm must be accompanied by, and under direct supervision of, a properly licensed adult (21 or older).
Use of an air gun does not require a Rifle Permit.

66 |

New Jersey Hunting & Trapping Digest 

Edited by Bucndoe

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

14 minutes ago, ratherbhunting said:

This thread made me go and look at my trapper education card. I took the trapping course Sept of 2016 and my card says Trapper/snare education .  Maybe this helps

Ah. yes. I just checked mine and it says the same... "Course Type: Trapper/Snare Education". This is what I was given upon completion of the course. I didn't get any other document or card.

trapper-card.jpg.6df8543f0bfa64bb9720895c55c0ef4a.jpg

I wonder if they added this requirement of a "snare course completion card" during the 80s when they made footholds illegal? (forced trappers to take another course that covered snares?)

In any event, in the class I took they didn't say we needed anything else other than this card. In fact, we were told we must have this card in our possession when out trapping (in addition to the trapping license, of course).

8 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Ah. yes. I just checked mine and it says the same... "Course Type: Trapper/Snare Education". This is what I was given upon completion of the course. I didn't get any other document or card.

I wonder if they added this requirement of a "snare course completion card" during the 80s when they made footholds illegal? (forced trappers to take another course that covered snares?)

In any event, in the class I took they didn't say we needed anything else other than this card. In fact, we were told we must have this card in our possession when out trapping (in addition to the trapping license, of course).

That is your snare card. Mine is different and a separate document from my Trapper Education. The State probably was looking to save money and streamlined it to one document. Watch the pennies while the dollars fly out the window, typical government at work. If you are going to take that with you in the woods, I would take a laminated copy

Edited by Bucndoe

12 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

That is what mine looks like also

Edited by ratherbhunting