IGNORED

Trout Stocking in Warm Waters ???

MRMCR

Whats your opinion of stocking trout in warm water ?? These trout will die anyway......would fisherman be better served with stocking these trout in colder waters where they will survive ? Should bass be stocked or other warm water fish be stocked in these warm waters ?? Does the Division do any stocking of warm water fish , such as bass, crappies etc etc  ?? Would a recreational fishery be better served with fish that may reproduce and survive ?? rather than die come June ??..........and yes I understand not all license buyers are able to understand the big picture .......many will argue " Hey we pay for those trout , we want them stocked locally ".........I know by me the Rahway River would be better served if it was stocked with Bass..........

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

State biologists work hard at monitoring the state's streams and rivers they stock in warm and cold, and they've been stocking warm water fish raised at the old hatchery in hackettstown forever.

https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/fish_warmwater.htm

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Definitely cold water but once June comes around many streams get to warm and lack oxygen to support them as well. But a lot of these streams are stocked for put and take reasons. Kind of the like close bye neighborhood creek type deal. So everyone is within driving distance of stocked fish. Might be a sludge hole but if it can provide spring fishing many will be stocked. Then you have streams that stay cold enough all year that most times get stocked heavily in comparison. The club i was in NY we had a creek it's a slow moving creek that gets too warm to hold most of the trout but all the guys get their fun in before the blue herons lol We would get a few browns to hold each year but not many. It gets up in that 80 degree range most summers. The few that survive seek refuge where colder tributaries enter and it is mostly a large fish or two that take up residence there. 

I know by me the Rahway  has never recieved any warm water fish a place where bass would thrive........I believe they only stocks in lakes.......and if you have been to the Hacketstown hatchery there aint a whole lot of fish there......years ago they did bring fish out to a kids derby the RRTU was doing in Nomahegan Park.....which was a great program as we were able to show the kids different fish, but we were one of the last ones and they discontinued the program........

14 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

State biologists work hard at monitoring the state's streams and rivers they stock in warm and cold, and they've been stocking warm water fish raised at the old hatchery in hackettstown forever.

https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/fish_warmwater.htm

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

Yeah I guess I got to agree with you only like some lakes very limited. Only so far the hatchery trucks will travel. You want me to go to Bergen Hudson and Essex what are you nuts? Lol

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt