IGNORED

Remington Accutips, 20ga, 3" Getting Sold Out

BHC

Just giving those that like and need these slugs, that many places are sold out, don't wait till last minute. I was going to order 5 more boxes on Tuesday from Cabelas, as I was given a gift card. So I waited till today, they are on backorder for these slugs as they are in most stores and on-line. I did order them, got FREE shipping code: "94FREE" will be shipped near the end of this month.  

Keep looking locally for them. I'll keep my eyes peeled if I go to the local outfitter. I have .40 S&W on back order with Midway since February and that date has been pushed out to November. I've learned to never trust back order dates. I've been buying plenty of .40 locally.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

BHC,

I have a few boxes unused, as I was very happy with the results and price of Hornady SST's.

Have you tried SST's?  If so, how would you compare the two?

Also, what firearm and barrel are you using and at what distances are you shooting and still getting good results?

My SST's are both accurate and precise at 100ya. I am getting small groups, much smaller than needed for hunting.

Going to take the muzzleloader and shotgun out to 150, 200 and 300ya, just to see what happens.  I expect to be effective a 150 and respectable at 200ya.  We'll see.

Anyone else have any feedback?

I have a few 20ga slug guns all using Remington Accutips in 3"

Savage 220f, at 100 yds I'm getting 3/4" groups, at 200 yds, from 1.3", 1.5" groups

H&R Ultra Deluxe, at 100 yds. 1" groups, at 150 yds. 1.5" groups, The Hornady SSTs shot well and I used them for a few years in this shotgun, but the Accutips shot better

Remington 1187, at 100 yds. 1.5" groups, at 150 yds. 2" groups

Mossberg 500, at 100 yds. 1.80 groups, at 150 yds. 2" groups

I have yet to see or shoot any 20ga shotgun that would out shoot the Savage 220f, even expensive custom made ones. Granted the Savage's stock is very toy like, but there are now replacement stocks made. The action can be rough as mine was when I first got mine 5 yrs ago, I had the bolt and bolt rails lapped making the action smoother, it worked !!!  claims of misfires have been reported I never had such a problem other reports say it's the ammo, claims of shells hangging up, once more I never had a problem others say work the bolt don't baby it.  I'm not saying these reports are false, just that I never had these problems, maybe I was lucky I don't know. One thing is, if the stock is taken off the barrel/action for cleaning and then put back on some people over tighten the screw causing action problems. 

If anyone wanted a DSG for a reasonable price you can't go wrong with the Savage 220f or the H&R

I have never shot a 3" slug yet.  I bought, very early this year, a Savage 220 and just have not had the time to shoot it yet, but I did buy a multitude of various brands of 2-3/4" slugs, including the accutips though the sport shop where I bought it said the lightfield hybrids were the way to go.  Sometime in the next month I'm gonna hope to start shooting it (no big deal if I don't as I have other slug guns to use if I don't have the time to spend with the 220) but I am wondering if there really is a huge difference with the 3" versus the 2-3/4" slugs, considering I don't shoot over 75 yards and most of my shots being between 45 and 65 yards?

The distance your shooting I would say no difference between the Accutips 2-3/4" & 3" the difference comes at the 100yds mark and beyond. The lightfields as good as they are, are ancient when compared to the Accutips and will not group as well. I do like the 3" shells in 20ga versus the 2-3/4"

I have never shot a 3" slug yet.  I bought, very early this year, a Savage 220 and just have not had the time to shoot it yet, but I did buy a multitude of various brands of 2-3/4" slugs, including the accutips though the sport shop where I bought it said the lightfield hybrids were the way to go.  Sometime in the next month I'm gonna hope to start shooting it (no big deal if I don't as I have other slug guns to use if I don't have the time to spend with the 220) but I am wondering if there really is a huge difference with the 3" versus the 2-3/4" slugs, considering I don't shoot over 75 yards and most of my shots being between 45 and 65 yards?

The Hornady SSTs are the fastest slugs on the market (unless someone came out with something faster very recently) yet are only 2 3/4" long.  They don't make a 3" slug.  That slug has shot better out of my older 870 in 12 gauge than any other I've ever tried.  I get excellent groups out to 100 yards and killed a bear at 128 yards which was ironically the longest shot I ever took at a big game animal with shotgun or rifle.    

I also consider a shot over 50 yards where I hunt as a long shot, but this bear was just in one of the few spots I can see a long distance to from my 6 Day stand.  Most of the deer I've shot with my 870 were under 30 yards and some were more like "fix bayonets" distance  :)