IGNORED

How High Of A Turkey Population In Your County??

Fred Flintstone

Morris county.  Not a large flock here. I’ve only heard a handful with putting in a lot of time.  Haven’t seen more then 4 for archery hunting here 2 years now.  Back where I come from Wayne county PA the population is still decent but regardless of where we are if there is coyotes there is less turkey!

We have had three consecutive bad egg laying years in a row and that is 99% of what you are seeing when it comes to current low populations of turkeys.  Give it one or two years of warmer, drier weather and their numbers will rebound in a two year time-frame.  Ground nesting birds like turkeys often leave their nest to feed, and that means cold rains or snow and predators take their share of would-be poults.  This spring was mostly decent until that ridiculous (nothwest) snow event and cold event we had several weekends back now.  Birds laying after that event should have good success, but I bet we lost a lot of young birds and eggs that day.     

Coyotes are not a new problem and they can't by the laws of Mother Nature, wipe out their food supplies.  I see populations of wild turkeys ebb and flow on the same land I have been on since about 1990 and that entire time we have tons of fox, bear, bobcat, coyote, raccoon, opossum, skunks, and hunters.  Spring nesting conditions will typically dictate the amount of birds that are around.   

Edited by Bucksnbows

3 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

We have had three consecutive bad egg laying years in a row and that is 99% of what you are seeing when it comes to current low populations of turkeys.  Give it one or two years of warmer, drier weather and their numbers will rebound in a two year time-frame.  Ground nesting birds like turkeys often leave their nest to feed, and that means cold rains or snow and predators take their share of would-be poults.  This spring was mostly decent until that ridiculous (nothwest) snow event and cold event we had several weekends back now.  Birds laying after that event should have good success, but I bet we lost a lot of young birds and eggs that day.     

Coyotes are not a new problem and they can't by the laws of Mother Nature, wipe out their food supplies.  I see populations of wild turkeys ebb and flow on the same land I have been on since about 1990 and that entire time we have tons of fox, bear, bobcat, coyote, raccoon, opossum, skunks, and hunters.  Spring nesting conditions will typically dictate the amount of birds that are around.   

Hope its just past poor spring weather.....

Mazz's chart shows a wave like pattern.....review of those past springs probably can show poor nesting n brooding conditions in those following yrs w decline 

image.png.76ea63c441134c3922585bc71fd88bb1.png