IGNORED

Suggestions for a Crossbow

username

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a Parker compound bow and am looking to buy a crossbow for the upcoming season.  If anyone has any links to a nice kit, please advise.

I do not fell like spending $1000 on a crossbow.  Somewhere between $500-750 would be ideal.

Thanks.

I highly recommend one with the reverse bow design.  Matty from this site set me up with a Barnett Vengeance and I am very happy with it.

They have a longer power stroke so more energy goes into the bolt and less slams into to string and limbs.  This makes them a lot quieter.

I was helping at the bow range for Hunter Ed at Pequest on Tuesday and there were a bunch of crossbows.  The ones with the reverse limb design were by far the better shooting bows.

Rusty,

How did the re curve shooters fair? I myself have been contemplating an Excalibur for its simplicity and reliability..

They were so noisy that when the first one shot everyone jumped and thought the bow had broken.  :down:

It was an Excalibur.   

I highly recommend one with the reverse bow design.  Matty from this site set me up with a Barnett Vengeance and I am very happy with it.

They have a longer power stroke so more energy goes into the bolt and less slams into to string and limbs.  This makes them a lot quieter.

I was helping at the bow range for Hunter Ed at Pequest on Tuesday and there were a bunch of crossbows.  The ones with the reverse limb design were by far the better shooting bows.

Disagree - I own the Horton Fury, a reverse design.  It shoots fine, but I hate that you need to use a cocking tool to cock it.  My earlier crossbow could be cocked by hand.  That's much better in the field.

Disagree - I own the Horton Fury, a reverse design.  It shoots fine, but I hate that you need to use a cocking tool to cock it.  My earlier crossbow could be cocked by hand.  That's much better in the field.

Most people use a cocking device regardless of the type of crossbow so that would not be a reason to buy a bow or not.

Unless your name is Darrel and you shoot zombies.    :piney:

If your happy with the Parker Bow

You will be very happy with a Parker Crossbow

Look at the Thunderhawk (formerly Tomahawk before the PC police got involved)

Should be able to get a package set up plus extra bolts, cocking device, broad heads and case easily within your price range.

whitey.JPG

Thanks for the fast and informative replies.  I may just save a few extra bucks and try a reverse draw bow.

If so, I cannot decock a reverse draw crossbow, correct? 

Thus, what is the recommended way or bolt to use to decock?  Is the Octane Thug Decocker from Cabelas the way to go?

The easiest way to un-cock any crossbow is to shoot it.  I keep a small target in my truck and a bolt with a field point.