IGNORED

Morels

gobblergetter

11 minutes ago, gobblergetter said:

Thawing out a bag for supper tonight.

All flowered up and ready to go

15890525325668312344998018331051.jpg

https://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsession/blogs/recipes/turkey-breast-and-wild-morel-mushroomsFrom Farm to plate. Enjoy Mike tonight,with your significant other.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

On 4/12/2020 at 7:40 AM, Greybeard said:

Congrats!  Eat well.  Doesn't look like I'll be getting out for turkeys and I've never found a morel, yet.

Why aren't you going turkey hunting you all henned up?

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 minute ago, hunterbob1 said:

Why aren't you going turkey hunting you all henned up?

Been weedwacking at the cemetery for the last 3 days.  Will have to do it again before memorial day.  Before that, been working with my son most of the time taking down trees or helping him chip piles of limbs in his yard.  Been too beat to move, and healing wounds, if I did have a day off to hunt this month.  Been a rough retirement.

41 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Been weedwacking at the cemetery for the last 3 days.  Will have to do it again before memorial day.  Before that, been working with my son most of the time taking down trees or helping him chip piles of limbs in his yard.  Been too beat to move, and healing wounds, if I did have a day off to hunt this month.  Been a rough retirement.

Circle of life my friend.

haven't found any in northern jersey yet. other mushrooms seem a bit behind also. i look for mayapples and they aren't up at all yet, usually during c week they are about as high as a gobblers beard when he hangs up in a patch and won't come out the bastard

19 hours ago, LPJR said:

Love finding and eating Hen of the Woods mushrooms. Never looked for morels or had them. 

That is one that I have never been fortunate enough to find and not for want of trying.  I salute you.

What time of year do you find them and under what kind of tree?  All pointers appreciated because local knowledge is way better than whatever the books will tell you.

I have learned this firsthand the books will tell you that chanterelles and black trumpets are an autumn mushroom but here in N.J. they are found in mid to late summer.

(

Brief tangent (hey I have ADD LOL):

Rosa Luca in Bethlehem twp used to sell pickled hen of the woods and they were fabulous - literally so good that no one will believe me when I tell them how good they were.

Sadly Rosa Luca had to close due to the tragic death of the owner leaving a wife and two kids.  He and his wife were charming hosts and I hope that her and her kids are doing better these days.)

Heading out with the dog again today.  I must do penance for committing the cardinal sins of both Sloth and Gluttony.

This lockdown has had me rediscovering why a bulging belly is called a beer gut as well.  The Two Eyes is just too good, that and Dales Pale Ale.  Enough is enough!

Completed my first dry week and will make it a month before imbibing again.  The beers in my fridge are burning a hole in my mind (let alone pocket) but I know that carrying too much weight will suck when the truly hot weather comes...

Edited by madeinuk