IGNORED

Time for shad

hammer4reel

Want chip resistant use powder and bake them

I have, but the vinyl still chips less it's just softer overall. The only powder paint I like is that glow white, just seems to catch more than plain vinyl white... You can't match my green/green chartreuse darts with powder paint - impossible. They don't have those colors and you can't multi-dip. You can do body and heads all at once with the pink / white for example and I have gotten lazy and done it still do at times, but it comes out a lot better and neater and brighter colors with the vinyl, so I will stick with what I know works best. Those pin and orange bodies were easy - that is some powder paint I don't use much, and just a black sharpie used for the head before vinyl sealer... You can catch on those colors, but no where near as effective as the two colors I prefer I have tried every color and size side by side on 6 rods fished off boat, and there is no question what works best year after year. It shouldn't matter - except it does as the spoon guys will also attest - most days the hot color matters.

74387A73-753C-4572-BF87-C9F88B8C3324.jpeg

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I have, but the vinyl still chips less it's just softer overall. The only powder paint I like is that glow white, just seems to catch more than plain vinyl white... You can't match my green/green chartreuse darts with powder paint - impossible. They don't have those colors and you can't multi-dip. You can do body and heads all at once with the pink / white for example and I have gotten lazy and done it still do at times, but it comes out a lot better and neater and brighter colors with the vinyl, so I will stick with what I know works best. Those pin and orange bodies were easy - that is some powder paint I don't use much, and just a black sharpie used for the head before vinyl sealer... You can catch on those colors, but no where near as effective as the two colors I prefer I have tried every color and size side by side on 6 rods fished off boat, and there is no question what works best year after year. It shouldn't matter - except it does as the spoon guys will also attest - most days the hot color matters.

you  can multiple dip ten times using a heat gun instead of a torch.

I have both those colors you are using in powder as their are different variations to each companies shading

20180314_162411.jpg

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

you are totally wrong there, can multiple dip ten times using a heat gun instead if a torch.

I have both those colors you are using in powder as their are different variations to each companies shading

Ah- didn't know you could heat gun them, yeah I light a plumber's butane tank and set on low when I powder dip... Lose a few along the way when I hold it too long and the lead melts LOL

I buy the Pro Tec powder off Cabelas, the green was not as bright as hoped, pink not too bad but not as bright as vinyl, same for blaze orange... Powder glow white - primo!

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

I posted the two colors you are using , they are both supposed to be chartreuse green. but each brand is totally different,

Ihave plenty of the darker color and will give you a jar of it next time I see you .

with powder you can mix colors, to make custom colors they don't have.

just like when they mix paint at the paint store.

there are charts  for the base colors, 

I make brown etc and depending on how much white or black you add you can achieve any shade you want .

I set a wagner heat gun on 700 degrees when using powder with the small jigs, I also got tired of losing the occasional one to the torch .

if your getting dull powder colors it means it didn't heat the paint enough.

wave it back over the heat until you see it shine up

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

you  can multiple dip ten times using a heat gun instead of a torch.

I never thought about using a heat gun. Good idea. Will try it

Over time I found a hot pink dart or flutter spoon is all I need.  Plain polished flutter silver spoons work great as do polished silver Kastmaster lures.  If the shad are there they will bite.

I use Testors enamel paint brushed on, touch ups are quick after a day of fishing, if needed.  I don't bother wrapping a tail on the darts anymore, in it's place I carry colored yarn and simply tie on an inch or two tail as needed.  I find I catch them without a tail, just as well as with when the bite is hot.  If I had to choose one lure type I would go with a spoon.

Over time I found a hot pink dart or flutter spoon is all I need.  Plain polished flutter silver spoons work great as do polished silver Kastmaster lures.  If the shad are there they will bite.

I use Testors enamel paint brushed on, touch ups are quick after a day of fishing, if needed.  I don't bother wrapping a tail on the darts anymore, in it's place I carry colored yarn and simply tie on an inch or two tail as needed.  I find I catch them without a tail, just as well as with when the bite is hot.  If I had to choose one lure type I would go with a spoon.

when they are biting it def is more about the confidence you have in your chosen lure .

But sometimes on those days they aren't biting they are still there.

Shad are already being caught up to Lambertville, talking to the guys ( all boat fishing)  every single fish has been on small dressed darts. They haven't started to hit spoons , and they have been fishing them.

from the boat I def prefer a spoon , but after fishing last spring with Jack from shore the small darts def caught ALOT more fish .

on a few days it seemed a small curly tail grub was getting a lot more hits than anything else.

The best part is everyone is  having fun catching these river rockets.

some guys on ultralight, some on noodle rods, some on flys, 

its a great fish that can be caught many ways .

Pick your way and have a blast 

hope we get a run similar to last years 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

16 minutes ago, Reeltight said:

I can’t wait for the shad to show up. I haven’t gone in 20 years. I just ordered a 8’ st croix  eyecon rod.  Now I need to find a reel that balances it out nicely.  Are there any tackle shops around philipsburg that carry shad darts and in-line sinkers?

probably need to go to a 3500-4000 series reel with that rod to get it to balance, as 8' with the split grip handle needs a little more weight than normal to keep the rod from wanting to fall forward.

Its an nice rod I'm sure you will have fun with 

as far as darts and sinkers , last season there was very little around.

was pretty frustrating as it was a great run, and you couldn't find an inline sinker. and when you did they wanted 3 bucks for 1.

you can find them on ebay right now for about 18 bucks per 50 .

and have them at your house in a few days.

Walmart  actually had a pretty decent selection of darts in their local stores,.

but if your just a little crafty, buy unfinished ones and paint them and tie them up. They are super easy to do , and you end up making them for about 25 % of what they sell for 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

as per Hammer - the 3500 in Pflueger President XT is what I put on my eyecon 8' rod - ideally would be just a little more weight near the butt to balance it out, but once I put 6lb braid on it, it nearly balances perfectly just a tad weight forward. 

I shot a big 10pt once….