IGNORED

Water Heater help!!

mattg1500

I noticed last week when filling the tub there is a sandy substance in it and the hot water runs out before the tubs half filled, 75gal tub, 50gal tank. Also while taking showers you need to continually turn up the HW as it seems to cool as using. I just drained the tank and did get sediment out, but after refilling it theres more! Its a Century HWH and is about 20yrs old. Is this thing done now? If so I was considering either a 75 gal tank or a tankless. My only concern with tankless is I read it lowers pressure as demand rises, is it noticeable? We have 2.5 baths and 3 kids, and my wife is always doing dishes and laundry so pressure I need. Also not sure if $$ is way more.

Any help is appreciated, and if your a plumber near Easton Pa feel free to pm your number! Thanks :banghead:

Edited by mattg1500

What powers you HWH? I have a high efficiency Bradford White propane HWH that works great. I switched to natural gas and had to get a new unit. It's a drive from Easton but an $1800.00 unit you can have for $400.00 if you want to come pick it up.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I switched to a tankless and will never go back to a tank.  I got this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084CPDFS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've not noticed any issues with pressure or long hot water if the water is running.  The only thing that's different is it takes an extra 30 seconds to get hot water to the longest run in the house.  It uses less gas/fuel because it only runs when you need hot water.  I live in a house with three women and we never run out of hot water.

The 9.5 GPM one will work for your house, and you shouldn't have issues with water pressure.

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

20 years old. Its way past its expected lifetime. I would go tankless. I have installed many rinnias over the years and they work great and will handle a 2.5 bath house without a problem. The thing with water heaters now is the energy regulations passed a few years ago. Any gas water heater over 55 gallons has to be a high efficiency condensing water heater and any electric heater over 55 gallons has to be an electric / heat pump hybrid ( have yet to even see the later.} You may find a plumbing supply with standard 75 still in stock but most likely not. Go tankless you won't be disappointed

I The only thing that's different is it takes an extra 30 seconds to get hot water to the longest run in the house. .

This is a biggest complaint I hear. There is not to much that can be done about it. Its just the way they work. Another issue is people turning the temp to high. With most tankless water heaters the higher the temp. The more flow it takes to make it fire

This is a biggest complaint I hear. There is not to much that can be done about it. Its just the way they work. Another issue is people turning the temp to high. With most tankless water heaters the higher the temp. The more flow it takes to make it fire

My wife told me the 30 extra seconds was worth having unlimited hot water.  We were at my parent's in NH over Thanksgiving, and you can get 2.5 showers out of their tank.  Kind of rough with 6 people in the house.  So my tankless is wife-approved.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

My house has radiant heat,floor and Domestic water.

It is fueled by a tankless heater, 3 circulation pumps and a 75gal. storage tank.

Insant hot water in winter, not so much in the summer, there is less demand. Turning up the heat on your water tank too much will fill your expansion tank and that is not good.

Read your heat temp at your tap so there is no scalding.

Some plumbers are not equipped to handle the Radiant systems.

Natural gas here

Edited by BCsaw

What powers you HWH? I have a high efficiency Bradford White propane HWH that works great. I switched to natural gas and had to get a new unit. It's a drive from Easton but an $1800.00 unit you can have for $400.00 if you want to come pick it up.

Im natural gas also, thanks though great offer

I guess im going to look at some tankless units. My current hwh is power vented from the basement out the side of the house so I will have to see if they come with that option. It would be nice to have more room in that closet also. Thanks for the info!

The unit I installed vents out the side of my house.  They sell a kit to do it.  Works like a charm and is an easy install.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KLWPI0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh, and get these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5YBENQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will want to have the cleaning valves attached when you do the installation.  For my unit they were extra, but they allow you to flush the system, which should be done annually.

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.