IGNORED

Question about muzzleloader powder charge

tankerchief

I got tired of the inconsistences with pellets and decided to play around with granular powder.  I experimented with Triple 7 and Pyrodex and was very happy with the results.  From my TC Optima, using 85 grains of Pyrodex with a 240 grain cheap shot sabot; I kept a 5 shot group at almost one inch.  At 75 yards 1.5 inches.  My question is will 85 grains of powder provide enough power to ethically kill a deer out past 50-75 yards?  I'm going to play around more with different charge loads after the season but don't want to mess with a good set up now.  Normally I won't be shooting past 100 yards because not presented with many opportunities to shoot past that where I currently hunt; and most shots occur around 50-75 yards. But, I want to be able to reach out a little more if the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks in advance

That load will kill a moose at 200 yrds as long as you put it in the right spot. I personally would not go any hotter with a light bullet I think your right where you want to be unless you go with a heavier bullet but if you’re shooting 1 inch groups at 100 I will put the gun away. Also that combo should get you out to 200 yards I could make a good guess on you’re hold over but I won’t if you plan on shooting over 100 go a practice at a 200 yard range. You’re probably gonna be around 1900fps. With that load. You’re gonna have to figure all that out yourself. Guessing is not recommended 

Remember, 100 gr of T7 pellets is actually not 100% equivalent to 100 gr T7 powder. So your 85 gr powder is not as low-powered as you would think. In fact, I think 85 gr of powder is probably as hot as 100 gr pellets. I remember reading about this when I was looking into putting together a load for my muzzy. I don't have all the details. I'll google around and see if I can find it.

Yeah, check out the Reference Data that Hodgdon publishes: https://hodgdonpowderco.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/muzzleloading_manual_2008-1.pdf

Take note of the velocity numbers between pellets and powder (compare the same bullet and caliber) and you'll see "100gr pellets" have slightly less velocity than "100gr powder" across the board. Powder is slightly hotter.  So if you normally shoot 2 pellets (100gr), your powder equivalent will be less than 100gr.

e.g. with .50cal 200gr T/C Shockwave bullet ... 2 50/50 T7 pellets == 1876 fps, 100gr T7 3F powder == 1944 fps

PELLETS:

image.png.1f60bcd99fff2d003e7da6d9cdf740cf.png

POWDER:

image.png.7b614fa82400ccdf4db452abaaad9947.png

All the charts above are a good reference but you would be surprised how much they could be off it’s far from a bible the only true way to figure out velocity and bullet drop is with a Chrono and a few trips to the range like I said above you’re probably right around 1900fps that’s a guess there’s no telling. I think you good I would not change anything  and the hell with the speed just go practice out to200 I said above I wouldn’t guess. But here’s my guess with that load. 4-6 high@ 150 and 12-14 @200 that would be your hold over. That’s where I would start. Only a guess