IGNORED

Antlers for Education - Any size, Any Condition

JFC1

Seeking any extra antlers for research and teaching: I have a friend and colleague who teaches a very cool bioarcheaology course to undergraduates in which students  learn to live and use technology like prehistoric humans.  They cook (venison I donate) using stone age techniques, and they butcher with hand tools they learn to chip themselves.  They also make weapons and other articles out of bone and antler while following stone age techniques.  Due to budget cuts, the college can't afford to buy antlers any more. So I told my colleague I'd ask all the deer hunters I know if they have any extras they might want to donate. 

I'm not looking for your trophy racks or your dogs' favorite treats. But if anyone has, for any reason, any antlers that they can afford to donate, he'd be interested in using them with students later this spring or in next fall's class.  I commute roughty 2-3 times a week between southern Hunterdon and NYC along some combination of Routes 31/202/1/287/78/80/95, and if we can make it work I'm happy to pick them up from anyone able to contribute.  Please PM me. 

My colleague grew up hunting deer on his family farm in upstate NY, but is no longer able to do it given where he lives and his family and career obligations.  He also does research on humans' earliest use of stone tools, in Africa, and has just published a major article on the butchering of hippos 2.6 million years ago that pushes back known dates for hominid use of technology. So you'd be contributing to students' educations at the hands of an excellent scientist.

thanks. 

• 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, Hovis33 said:

As a teacher myself I am always bring the outdoors into my classroom!

Welcome to the site Hovis! 

It looks like you and I are in the same neck of the woods, where and what do you teach?