IGNORED

whisker biscuit suggestions? plus... anyone turkey hunt with magnus broadheads?

mazzgolf

Here's how I go from not expecting to spend any money at all today... to all of a sudden spending close to $150 within hours :)

My dad went to Cabelas today just to do something (nice to be retired). He calls me up and says, "I'm in Cabelas. You want anything?" I say, "Check to see what kind of turkey broadheads they have. I would like to try to turkey hunt with a bow this year". He says they have the Magnus 3-blade broadheads on the shelf. OK, why not. Pick me up a pack. Cha-ching.. $36.

I get the pack and watch the instructional video that comes with it. The guy was convincing (or perhaps just good at marketing) but he says they recommend shooting broadheads with their carefully spined long arrows with four 4" fletching vanes for better stability. Hmm.. OK. He also showed something that I didn't even think about - they have a quiver adapter so you can store these wide broadheads in your quiver. Hmm.. yeah, good point. Not sure how to walk through the woods with these on the arrows without these quiver adapters. OK, so I go to their website, and I buy 2 arrows and the quiver adapter. Cha-ching! $50 more dollars.

I then suddenly realize, hmmm.. I have one of those hostage brush rests on my bow - the kind that require 3 vanes on the arrow - 4 vane arrows won't pass through. Dang it! I go check my bow and realize the rest bristles are really worn down - never noticed it before. I really should replace this rest anyway. So, now I'm going to need to go to the bow shop tomorrow and see what kind of whisker biscuits they have that I can use with both 3- and 4-vane arrows. Cha-ching! That'll be another $50 I'm sure.

I was just going to buy one of those Trophy Ridge Whisker Biscuits. Is there something I should be looking for? Recommendations? I see some are "small" and "medium" but one said "one-size" (I don't see how you can sell "small" and "medium" versions of the rest, but then at the same time sell a "one-size" rest, but...whatever). I assume these whisker biscuits work with 3- and 4- vane arrows (I've only ever used this Hostage brush rest, never used a whisker biscuit).

Finally - anyone use these Magnus broadheads for turkey hunting? I didn't want to use my deer broadheads - I hear too many stories of turkeys flying away with an arrow stuck in them because of poor shot placement. I want to either cut the turkey's head off or completely miss. I don't want a wounded bird flying around. I'm hoping these broadheads are good.

Edited by mazzgolf

That got out of control fast. Why did you pick the Magnus broadheads? They are good heads…just not sure why bought a different head and decided to change your whole setup. What heads are you shooting now?

I am not an archery turkey expert but I would shoot for the body rather than the head.  I shot one turkey with my bow a few years ago. I shot it right in the wing butt and it never took a step. Spitfire broadhead. 

I'm your Huckleberry :devious:

1 hour ago, Devil Horns said:

Why did you pick the Magnus broadheads? They are good heads…just not sure why bought a different head and decided to change your whole setup. What heads are you shooting now?

I am not an archery turkey expert but I would shoot for the body rather than the head.

1 hour ago, electricstart said:

Head shots pretty tuff with a bow

A few reasons:

1) Yes, it is a tougher shot, but for the same reason people go to recurves for deer hunting, I want to try something with a little added difficulty and challenge. I'll still hunt them with a shotgun this season, but I'm looking to get out for a few days with a little more challenge. I'm going to have to get the birds within 10 to 15 yards - and be able to draw a bow and release it on target without being busted. Gonna be difficult! But fun to try, and if I pull this off, it'll be very satisfying. I'll probably hunt in a ground blind if I do this to hide a little better.

2) I went with the Magnus because I've heard the stories where people misjudge the vitals location and just end up wounding the bird. I would rather just completely miss then stick a bird and risk having it fly away with an arrow in it.

3) Even if I get a good shot on it, I don't want to lose any of the meat by putting a broadhead in the chest. Head shots (with bow or shotgun) leave all of that breast meat intact and delicious :)

1 minute ago, mazzgolf said:

A few reasons:

1) Yes, it is a tougher shot, but for the same reason people go to recurves for deer hunting, I want to try something with a little added difficulty and challenge. I'll still hunt them with a shotgun this season, but I'm looking to get out for a few days with a little more challenge. I'm going to have to get the birds within 10 to 15 yards - and be able to draw a bow and release it on target without being busted. Gonna be difficult! But fun to try, and if I pull this off, it'll be very satisfying. I'll probably hunt in a ground blind if I do this to hide a little better.

2) I went with the Magnus because I've heard the stories where people misjudge the vitals location and just end up wounding the bird. I would rather just completely miss then stick a bird and risk having it fly away with an arrow in it.

3) Even if I get a good shot on it, I don't want to lose any of the meat by putting a broadhead in the chest. Head shots (with bow or shotgun) leave all of that breast meat intact and delicious :)

The bullheads are great , but def require the much heavier spined arrow to shoot them .

practicing with them sucks , best way I found was to shoot an old pillow hanging from a bag stand .

I shot turkeys with them , using both a compound  and a recurve .

while much of your reasoning for  that head   Choice is good . Many times in real life situations they don’t allow a shot .

‘After shooting ALOT of turkeys with archery equipment the big three bladed expandable , such as grim reaper whitetail special , dead ringer freak nasty , buck blasters etc are a better head to hunt with .

they allow you to shoot into a turkeys vitals from any direction making a quick clean kill .

I have had 2 birds run after being shot , both recovered . But did take a lot of effort getting them .

‘all the rest of the birds layed right where they were shot ..…

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Shooting out of my compound. I bought two of their arrows with the 4-vane fletching which supposedly also has spine/stiffness tuned specifically for these heads. Need to get a new rest (have to get a new one anyway, brushes on my current rest are worn down pretty bad). After looking at what's available, I'm going to get a Trophy Ridge Whisker Biscuit Kill Shot - the one that is adjustable both vertical and horizontal. Then it's off to spend time at the range re-tuning the bow with the new rest and getting my deer broadheads and these magnus heads to shoot good. Looks like I'll have something to do other than fish in March and April :)

8 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Shooting out of my compound. I bought two of their arrows with the 4-vane fletching which supposedly also has spine/stiffness tuned specifically for these heads. Need to get a new rest (have to get a new one anyway, brushes on my current rest are worn down pretty bad). After looking at what's available, I'm going to get a Trophy Ridge Whisker Biscuit Kill Shot - the one that is adjustable both vertical and horizontal. Then it's off to spend time at the range re-tuning the bow with the new rest and getting my deer broadheads and these magnus heads to shoot good. Looks like I'll have something to do other than fish in March and April :)

Sometimes the magnus heads don’t chop their head off .

here’s a direct hit , you can see where the three blades hit .

pinwheeled this one right where I was aiming , luckily the shock snapped his neck

DCA70FC8-D3CF-4CD4-93E6-66B75A26691F.jpeg

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/