IGNORED

Help a fellow hunter in need ( Fell off tree stand)

Beartaker

I use a climber exclusively and I’m never not harnessed in from the time I leave the ground until I reach the ground at hunts end. Is it a pain to keep moving the strap up the tree as you ascend and descend? Yes , but worth it. In this day and age , when it’s been harped on for decades, anyone that doesn’t is wishing for trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I hate hearing this about another hunter, and hope he fully recovers, it is things like that (which seem to happen every year) that I, myself, need to hear to keep me from getting complacent and to force me to always hook up from the time I start going up to the time I step back on the ground. There are days when I'm like, "This ladder stand is solid and safe, I don't need the harness" or "the climber is fine, I never had a problem"... I need to remind myself of stories like this to slap myself out of it.

Just remember -- it only takes 1 time out of 1,000 and you never know if the last time you climbed was number 999.

Mazz I think you hit it spot on. Last few times I've been up in my ladder stand I was thinking "hmm...this is only about 12 ft up do I really need the harness and safety line??"

Well after reading about this guy's injuries I have answered myself with a resounding "YES do really need the harness and safety line!!!"

Plus it reminded me to make sure phone has a good charge on it before heading into woods.