IGNORED

Best Turkey Drum & Mouth Call

nickmarch

13 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

Maybe Drums could work  in a hunting situation?    Just a Joke.            What does your little Aluminum Box sound like.

Drums do work!  Probably better than any conventional turkey call.  I have something new and easy but I'm not ready to show it yet.  I have to buy some equipment first.

The aluminum box is a $3 piece of aluminum tubing.  It sounds great to me but the frequency is to high so it wont sound great to a turkey.

2 hours ago, nickmarch said:

Drums do work!  Probably better than any conventional turkey call.  I have something new and easy but I'm not ready to show it yet.  I have to buy some equipment first.

The aluminum box is a $3 piece of aluminum tubing.  It sounds great to me but the frequency is to high so it wont sound great to a turkey.

I have had good Luck with Aluminum. Traditional Slate seems to get much less of a response since the mid 1990s.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

36 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

I have had good Luck with Aluminum. Traditional Slate seems to get much less of a response since the mid 1990s.

Slamming a door gets a response.  The guy in the drum video making noises with his mouth got responses. Crow calls, owl calls, peacock calls ect get responses.  What I want is for the toms to show up even if they are with hens.  That's why I'm working on calls that bring in toms, Jake's and hens.  

16 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

Slamming a door gets a response.  The guy in the drum video making noises with his mouth got responses. Crow calls, owl calls, peacock calls ect get responses.  What I want is for the toms to show up even if they are with hens.  That's why I'm working on calls that bring in toms, Jake's and hens.  

Your Ceramic Calls are good for fairly close Turkeys. Called in both a Hen and a Tom that saw me first.

42 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

Your Ceramic Calls are good for fairly close Turkeys. Called in both a Hen and a Tom that saw me first.

My ceramic calls are at the range of frequencies that turkeys hear best.  

You are thinking volume.  A turkeys hearing frequency range is a lot shorter than a humans frequency range.  They hear a short range but they hear it from a farther distance.  They are tuned in to and hear slight differences in the range that they hear.

Many think high frequency calls like the aluminum calls that are loud as hell work well because they get a response. The load noise you hear isn't frequency it's volume.  Low frequencies travel much farther.  

15,000 Hz won't travel far at all.  At my age I can't hear 15,000hz.  See if you can hear it...

https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Edited by nickmarch

18 hours ago, nickmarch said:

My ceramic calls are at the range of frequencies that turkeys hear best.  

You are thinking volume.  A turkeys hearing frequency range is a lot shorter than a humans frequency range.  They hear a short range but they hear it from a farther distance.  They are tuned in to and hear slight differences in the range that they hear.

Many think high frequency calls like the aluminum calls that are loud as hell work well because they get a response. The load noise you hear isn't frequency it's volume.  Low frequencies travel much farther.  

15,000 Hz won't travel far at all.  At my age I can't hear 15,000hz.  See if you can hear it...

https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

I  usually use Aluminum at a medium Volume. 

2 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Guys I might be out of the loop here somehow but those don’t seem like or sound like completely wild turkey. The type we’d be hunting. In my yard they’ll walk right up to you to, almost to touching distance. 
Next gobbler sounds already work on hens, jakes n gobblers. So do kee Kees at times. That’s about what the birds were gobbling at, his whistling a kee kee. 
idk about the rest but if it wasn’t a turkey sound, for instance a drum type sound or something I’d personally have zero interest in using it. Seems today most guys care more about the end result than how they got there so a call w magic would sell to many

You bring up a good point.  Personally, I have had much better luck with High Pitched calls as opposed to Super Raspy Calls.     I Hike Year round and have hunted 31 Springs and another 30 Fall Seasons and have yet to hear any Hens Yelping as Raspy as some of these Super Raspy Diaphragms.   When, I hear them, I know it is another Hunter.  

13 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

I  usually use Aluminum at a medium Volume. 

There are different types and thicknesses, anodized, not anodized, ect.  They all sound different.  The easiest way to find out what frequencies its putting out is to get a free phone app and use it in a quiet room.  You need a audio spectrum analyzer.  Turkeys hear from about 250hz to about 5250hz. I think the optimum vslue stzted in the study was about 60 decibels.   Thats not very loud.  Above 60db hurts their ears and would cause shock gobbles.

Edited by nickmarch

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2020 at 5:16 PM, nickmarch said:

When, I worked in a Dog Food Warehouse- this guy in the Shipping area was playing with a very large Sheet of Aluminum. 

Probably 3 Feet wide and 1 foot high.  He kept working that huge Sheet of Aluminum back + forth and to me over in the packing area-- it sounded JUST LIKE THUNDER!!

It has been said in print that if a Turkey call could be made to sound just like THUNDER- Turkey Hunters would be FAR More successful!

Why?--- Because ALL GOBBLERS will Gobble to Rolling Thunder as most here are probably already aware of.  No " Pecking Order" in this scenario ! ALL The Gobblers will Gobble at Rolling Thunder. Even the Lowest Ranking Gobbler will Gobble at Rolling Thunder.

It is no secret that many Turkey Hunters over the Decades were very successful during periods of Rolling Thunder.     I wish there was a Call Small enough to bring into the Turkey Woods to duplicate Thunder. It would probably work in the Fall as well.

What do you think Nickmarch??

OMK How am I going to carry my drums out into the woods. If they call call turkey like that I guess I am going to have to bring a full set out the day before. Does anyone know if the cymbals are needed or just the drums:laughing:

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

On 6/14/2020 at 1:41 PM, Foggy Mountain said:

Guys I might be out of the loop here somehow but those don’t seem like or sound like completely wild turkey. The type we’d be hunting. In my yard they’ll walk right up to you to, almost to touching distance. 
Next gobbler sounds already work on hens, jakes n gobblers. So do kee Kees at times. That’s about what the birds were gobbling at, his whistling a kee kee. 
idk about the rest but if it wasn’t a turkey sound, for instance a drum type sound or something I’d personally have zero interest in using it. Seems today most guys care more about the end result than how they got there so a call w magic would sell to many

Turkeys will gobble at the sound of a truck door slamming. What worked today won't work tomorrow. It all depends what mood they are in

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."