IGNORED

Need to Crowd-source a Recipe!

mazzgolf

Calling all chefs and people who know how to cook... (If you barely know how to boil water, you can skip this thread - I need some advice  from amateur chefs)

:cook2:

OK, so, the corona lockdown had me sitting half-asleep on the couch watching cooking shows (I like cooking shows, but next to golf, they are one of the best sedatives).

I noticed Lidia was making some awesome-looking stuffed potato skins stuffed with sausage and mushroom filling. I'm thinking, "that would be great with some ground venison or venison sausage). But, I was half-asleep and I think I missed some important steps! I Googled, and I can only find an ingredients list, but not the directions.

Soooo.... I'm trying to piece together what I saw her do with what I think would work in order to fill in the hazy blank spaces of my memory. Therefore, I need some crowd-sourcing help to complete it - we can call the future finished recipe "NJW&W Potato Skins Stuffed with Venison and Mushrooms".

I don't know if she cooked the potatoes first (and then cut them in half and scooped out the middle), or if she scooped out everything first and cooked the potatoes at the end after stuffing them. I makes sense she cooked them first, so that's what I'm going with, but I really don't know - I don't remember her cooking them first (then again, I could have been asleep at that part :sleeping:)

Anyway, here's my recipe - I marked where I tried to fill in the blanks - you tell me how YOU would do it. 

I swear, it looked awesome on TV :) 

(And yes, this is what I am reduced to doing in CoronaWorld - hurry up, turkey season...)

======

INGREDIENTS:

4 large russet potatoes (about 12 ounces each)

10 ounces venison sausage or even just ground, spiced up a bit [MAZZ: she used regular sausage, I figured replace with venison of some kind]

12 ounces sliced mushrooms

1/2 cup EVOO [:headscratch: MAZZ: I have no idea where she used a full 1/2 cup of EEVO - maybe brushed on the potatoes before cooking??]

2 tsp kosher salt

1 small onion, finely chopped [:headscratch: MAZZ: I didn't see where she used onions, I assume it is just in the stuffing]

1 cup Parmesan cheese

1 cup grated cheese (any cheese that will melt)

3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS:

Clean potatoes but leave skins on

Lightly brush oil on potatoes [:headscratch: MAZZ: I added this because I can only think this is where some of the 1/2 cup EEVO is used]

Cook potatoes in large baking casserole at [375] degrees for [30] minutes or until they are cooked [:headscratch: MAZZ: no idea about time/temp - I don't even know if she cooked them first]

Cut potatoes in half

Scoop out the middle of the potatoes into little balls using spoon (but leave some “meat” on the skin)

Put the scooped potato off to the side

Put potatoes skins back in large baking casserole

Add salt and pepper to the insides of the potato skins

Heat oil in cooking pan

In oil, cook venison [:headscratch: MAZZ: do you fully cook here? Or just brown it?]

Add onion and mushrooms [:headscratch: MAZZ: I can only guess that this is where the onion gets cooked]

Add the scooped potato to mixture in cooking pan [:headscratch: MAZZ: This is why I think she cooked the potatoes first - I can't see putting in raw potatoes in this step - they would take too long to cook. I dunno.]

Add grated Parmesan cheese

Cover and cook for another [10] minutes [:headscratch: MAZZ: I thought I remember she cooked for an hour here! But that would seem to overcook the meat and onions??]

Scoop venison mixture into the potato skins

Cover potatoes with the other grated cheese

Pour a little water in the bottom of the baking casserole

Put in oven at [375] degrees for [10] minutes to melt the cheese [:headscratch: MAZZ: no idea about time/temp here - I don't think this step should be long, everything is cooked, unless she didn't cook the potatoes skins yet]

Sprinkle with parsley

======

That's it. I don't even know if I have all the steps or the right order.

Here's where I found the ingredients - the link to the full recipe doesn't work: https://www.mastercook.com/app/recipe/WebRecipeDetails?recipeId=19403980

I would cook potatoes first or if you have left over baked potatoes could use them .you can brush potatoes with evoo. May want to had to meat. I would cook onions till clear then had venison be careful not to over cook. Had other ingredients add back to potatoes but in oven  again watch how long or venison will over cook no fat. Maybe  cut in half.  Good luck

For any type of potato skin you have to cook the potato first for sure. If I were going to give this a go I might experiment and see about doing the potatoes in the air fryer. I've never done it so not sure how the skins would come out. Baking them is obviously the gold standard but perhaps an air fryer can do the job in less time?