IGNORED

Gear for Turkey Hunting

deletereturnshift

Bought some turkey calls. 

1 box call, 1 slate call, 1 push button yelper and a few diaphragm calls. 

I can't help but feel like I'm doing something wrong with the mouth calls. It sounds too low pitched. 

Can anyone give me some feedback?

Top video doesn't work. Please use the second video. It's the same video. 

Edited by deletereturnshift

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Member

NWTF Member

On 2/10/2020 at 10:48 AM, deletereturnshift said:

Hi Everyone,

What kind of gear should I purchase for my first turkey hunt?

What calls do you use?

Vest?

Mask or camo paint?

Etc.

Planning on going on my first hunt this spring and want to see what everyone is using and what they recommend. 

I bought the H.S. Strut Hammerin Crow Turkey Locator call and I’m also considering buying the Primos Turkey Starter Pack. 

I’ve had good luck with very little.  My camo is old and worn I have Walmart decoys and 75% of the time I use a 20ga.  I’ve found I like to have a slate and also a mouth call.  What has been the key to success is finding the birds before the season or at-least knowing a general area where they are.  I like to access the woods where I’m at and if there are rock walls get close by a break as the turkeys will almost every time cross there if they are responding to your calls.  Be patient let them come in and be still and quite.   Face mask all the way no paint for me I want to keep the bugs away!

if it’s slow I like to just take a calm walk and call here and there.  I’ve gotten on birds that way.  Sometime quick hunts sometimes long.  Sometimes they answer everytime sometimes little to No gobbling.

2 hours ago, deletereturnshift said:

Bought some turkey calls. 

1 box call, 1 slate call, 1 push button yelper and a few diaphragm calls. 

I can't help but feel like I'm doing something wrong with the mouth calls. It sounds too low pitched. 

Can anyone give me some feedback?

Top video doesn't work. Please use the second video. It's the same video. 

When you go to use the mouth call say chirp everytime you go to chirp and you’ll be suprised how easily it will come to you.  Then you can play eith pitches purrs and cutting. I like a raspy old hen mouth call. 

On 2/10/2020 at 5:07 PM, nickmarch said:

I see that most if not all say to not call to much.  Once the birds are off the roost I call practially non stop. I call more than I don't call.  Up until the warden fiasco day last spring I filled every tag I ever bought and I buy a lot! I did anyway.  I doubt that I will get any this year.

I can be an Agrressive caller as well nickmarch. I really think you need to " play both sides of the coin" as far as calling goes. I notice that alot of Spring Hunters today call very soft or never as in " sit,watch, + hope". At least in a few areas of NY where, I have asked Spring Hunters in parking lots what call is working is working for them. A few older guys have said, I Deer Hunt them. Put a Decoy out and Watch. Problem is Decoys do not work 100% of the time. I say call Soft + Loud.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

1 hour ago, Fred Flintstone said:

I can be an Agrressive caller as well nickmarch. I really think you need to " play both sides of the coin" as far as calling goes. I notice that alot of Spring Hunters today call very soft or never as in " sit,watch, + hope". At least in a few areas of NY where, I have asked Spring Hunters in parking lots what call is working is working for them. A few older guys have said, I Deer Hunt them. Put a Decoy out and Watch. Problem is Decoys do not work 100% of the time. I say call Soft + Loud.

Each situation and bird is different.  We have all over called and we have all called to little. The bird will dictate how much to call.  I have had birds gobbling their heads off to subtle clucks n yelps but not moving start to cut very aggressive they come closer stop and they stop closing distance aggressive cutting again they close the gap..  

Also had a bird I knew was coming threw thick cover after 5 minutes or so I made a cluck to see where he was going to finish so I could get ready and he turned around lesson learned..  they do what they want when they want lol