IGNORED

Scope base leveling

hydro psyche

Trying to mount a scope onto my Traditions Pursuit ML, and when I put the two piece base on, I can level the bubble on one base, but the other is off.  I’m not sure how to proceed from here...do I set the gun level on one base, and then set the scope against that reference?  I’d think both bases should be level.  

The base is a Weaver 418M.  

How far are you shooting?  Although I always level my rifles, using the Wheeler Kit, I have found that "cant" issues usually start outside of 300ya.  

First, is your level is level?  Can you adjust the level?  If not, rotate the level 180°.  If the bubble changes position, your level is not level.

How far off are the two?  if they are close, I would split the difference.  

Can you buy a one piece mount?  Overall, they are better than the two-piece.

An honest attempt at leveling should remove most cant errors for a ML's range.

image.png.9e10acb93bd507a9b778c53ea1c03396.png

Edited by username

Just got back to installation last night after realizing I needed the high rings rather than the medium.  First off, the level is level...I changed orientation to get the same result.

As for how far off each half of the base is, on one, the left side of the bubble is touching the left level line...on the other, the right side of the bubble is touching the right level line.  So both are within the level lines, just not both perfectly squared.  I split the difference and will see what that translates to at the range.  Where I hunt, I'd likely have a hard time getting an unobstructed shot out to even 100 yards.  Will consider a change if things are all over the place at the range.

Are they the correct bases? Thats not the # listed on the weaver site under ML bases. Also are the in the correct spot? If you swap them is it level? If its all good I would level L to R and shoot it. Older Mossberg receivers are pitched down but shoot fine. Level crosshairs are going to be the key.

18 hours ago, mattg1500 said:

Are they the correct bases? Thats not the # listed on the weaver site under ML bases. Also are the in the correct spot? If you swap them is it level? If its all good I would level L to R and shoot it. Older Mossberg receivers are pitched down but shoot fine. Level crosshairs are going to be the key.

My gun shop told me that one would work when he ordered the ML and base.

I didn't swap them front to back...I did try rotating each one at a time in their original spots, then both by 180 degrees, but realized then I didn't have the right configuration to give me wiggle room to adjust for eye relief before the rings hit the adjustment turrets.  

17 hours ago, CJ3a said:

Are the holes in the receiver drilled straight?

How do I tell if the holes are drilled straight?  I can only assume that's high on the quality control list for the manufacturer given what they're used for, and they're drilled straight.

With basic tools the only way to check is with a straight edge.   It is a common problem not to have the holes in a straight line. Burris makes rings with eccentrics to fix that issue. 

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.