IGNORED

Looking to buy a 1986 ATC 250R 3 wheeler

MPSR

30 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I almost died on one of those - that horrible green color.  I had a 4 stroke Honda 200X which was fun to ride, but my buddy wanted more "power" for hill climbs and speed.  Nothing like a 250 2-stroke with that legendary "power band" that kicks in.      

Well the most dangerous design of that model I thought, was having a standard motorcycle throttle (the handle), whereas my 200X had a thumb throttle.  

I wanted to try the Tecate - but was a little scared to be honest.   I took it for a spin, went up a hill in my parents woods to park it and return to my buddy, and decided to hit the power band hard and peel out going up the hill.  

Well that power band kicked in and took the front wheel immediately off the ground and as I tried to hang on for dear life, I only increased power and acceleration by hanging onto that handle (AKA "THROTTLE") and giving it more gas!    The only thing that stopped me was a tree hitting the rear tire and sending me 30 feet in the air as I came to rest with my head against a stump. (no helmet)    I was bruised and battered, a bit in shock, but nothing broke on me. Wish I could say same for that 3 wheeler- I think it cost me $1,500 to fix, starting with the bent axle.   I decided right then and there, 2-stroke 3 wheelers were death machines - especially with that turn-screw throttle!

(Used up one of my 9 lives right there - think I only have a few left)

Great read,,,,lol. They ain't for everybody, and def have to respect the power. Before I switched to a Harley, I rode a Hyabusa. That was a rocket!! If you wanna feel power, try one of those. But,,,,,,, hang on this time :)

• 2 years later...

WOW  this is an old thread, I have a nephew that spent over a month in the hospital after turning one over in my brothers drive way.  A lot of people got hurt on them.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL