IGNORED

Kentucky Long Rifle Info ???

MRMCR

So I am looking at a Kentucky Long Rifle......beautiful curly Maple stock.....nice brass.....but barrel is pitted and been re painted as its dark brown ....trigger is locked up and there is no makers name to be found.....I am thinking $500 or less......but my concerns are ....could it be a repro, but the curly Maple is real nice.....I know the pitted barrel hurts but it could be 150 years old or more......and no name.....any help is appreciated.....

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

Kentucky is a false Name when they were Pennsylvania as to that Rifle IMO it is Junk not even collectible make a Phone Call To Dixon Muzzle Loading in PA  They deal in only Black Powder Roundball Riffles.  Reproductions even sight unseen he Thay will give you some advice. 

Again IMO they are very common in Firing condition maybe $500 or more 

Plus with No Markings, it is only a  Style but most had at least proof or maker markings. 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Kentucky is a false Name when they were Pennsylvania as to that Rifle IMO it is Junk not even collectible make a Phone Call To Dixon Muzzle Loading in PA  They deal in only Black Powder Roundball Riffles.  Reproductions even sight unseen he Thay will give you some advice. 

Again IMO they are very common in Firing condition maybe $500 or more 

Plus with No Markings, it is only a  Style but most had at least proof or maker markings. 

Jesus Christ what are you saying?? :shock:

If the barrel is pitted and the lock doesn't work it is worth a few bucks.....  maybe ..... as a wall hanger.

If the hammer doesn't work then behind the hammer, the inside of the lock, is probably rusted and compromised, the nipple or flash hole on the barrel is probably no better off.

And, unless you have one of the small mini flashlights that you can drop in the barrel there is no telling what condition the rifling is in.

Its easy to redo the barrel in rust blue or plum brown to hide exterior issues and to clean up the wood and brass but the insides ( lock & barrel ) are what matter.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

I 2nd Dixons for advice. They are in Kempton on the way to cabelas. The amount of knowledge there is amazing

Dixons also has a lot of used guns in flint and percussion ai various calibers.

And if nothing else it is a really neat place to visit and learn.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

Second Dixons. The rifle photos are self-explanatory THe Single Rifle Photo is One In AAA Conditions Named and On gun broker, the Asking is $700. Want a wall hanger they go from $300 - $500. The so-called Kentucky Rifles were produced in PA during the Civil War and Marked by the Makers who were in many of the County's of the time Stamped with The Gun Makes Name. 

Will add another Rifle photo Made in Pa ASAP

Kentucky's.jpg

kyrifle-2.jpg

pix742966360.jpg

This is the other one of the Rifles  Manufactured in Pennsylvania. During the Start of The Civil War saw action in Spanish American War WW-1 during WW 2- and 10 who saw use as a Saluting Rille to just recently. 

Pennsylvania was pivotal in Firearm Manufacturing. Since the Talents and means were there. 

Resized.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck

Thanks guys my gut told me there were problems.....but its still cool.....Ill tell him to try to get $500 and if it doesnt sell then we will talk.....the gun is for sale at Stagecoach Antiques on Main st in Metuchen......

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

Thanks guys my gut told me there were problems.....but its still cool.....Ill tell him to try to get $500 and if it doesnt sell then we will talk.....the gun is for sale at Stagecoach Antiques on Main st in Metuchen......

Walk away there are so many better ones out there Call Dixons PA  

Some unknowing Tool will Buy it, PT Barnum, 

Dixon's "The Place to Go".

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Not in the market for any muzzies I have 2 CVA's which just sit there ....I just liked the long rifle... but I will check out Dixons on the web......

Edited by MRMCR