IGNORED

Fall clover maintenance

I have a 2 year old 1/2 acre stand of clover, i frost seeded it back in march and come spring time it was looking great! towards the end of June / beginning of July the weeds became horrible so i mowed it and sprayed arrest & slay, it now is about 90% weed free but looking thin in a few areas.. I don't see the deer using it all that much as they are hammering the bean fields right now. My question is since i have not limed or fertilized it since i planted it would right now be a good time to lime, fertilize and over seed it before the next rain storm? i would like to do it before the season starts, plus this plot is mostly in a wooded area the ground will be covered in leaves soon.. Whatcha think??

Thanks for the reply's .. I think i'm gonna lime, fertilize and over seed in the next week or 2 before a good rain, plus try to beat some of the leave's falling on the plot because they will choke out the new growth. If i mow it, i guess it's best to mow it after i do everything that way i get good soil contact with the lime fertilizer and seed. and when i mow it high like you said, it will act as cover to keep in the moisture in after everything is down??

Yeah, i did that last year.. once the leaves started to get thick, i leaf blew everything off.. I just think its better to seed now so it has a chance to get somewhat established before the leaves start to drop heavy.. At my house leaf season is from sept 1st  to just about X-mas..LOL.. 

FYI, some of white oaks at my place are already starting to drop acorns.

For a half acre plot, If it was mine, winter rye. You could do winter wheat or oats also but oats will die after a frost or two. Rye will continue to grow to around 38 degrees before going dormant. If temps rise it will start growing again. Its easy to grow, broadcast into the clover. The rye will grow high next spring. You can let it run its course or mow it off

www.liftxrentals.com