IGNORED

Taxidermy - what to look for

The most interesting part to me is that you have to redo the nosebumps. I never knew this. What happens, do they desiccate when naturally drying and lose their form?

They flatten out and don't look "full". They look hard instead of plump and soft. So many mounts I see they are rebuilt with the nodes being too large and mis-shapen.

Key to a good mount is softness.

You achieve softness by using the correct size for for the job. So many guys want their deers neck swollen beyond what it naturally was, and always ask if I can stretch it. My answer is "no".

Sure, with a good tan you can stretch a little more than natural, but that will not allow the skin to stack and wrinkle where it should. The mount then looks "stuffed " instead of alive. Like a person with a lifetime of bad botox..

Also I forgot to mention symmetry. ..

Stand back and look at a mount.

Is the white patch on the throat crooked?

Does the hair patterns around the muzzle, chin, briskit, etc all look symetrical/centered correctly?

Antlers mounted straight?

Eyes level?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Edited by JerseyJaysTaxidermy

Jay, post is very enlightening! You take pride in your work and it shows! :up: :up:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member

Cool Jay. Honestly had no idea this much detail was put into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the stuff you learn at competitions. This is how they judge you on a "commercial" level.

This is nothing compared to "professional", "masters", and "division of excellence" categories...

My commercial mounts are identical to those I would enter in the professional division..

I was bumped into the masters division 2 years ago, so now if I compete I need to go into further detail..stuff so small and time consuming it's pointless to point out here because no one would want to pay the $ it would cost to have one done that perfect lol.

But overall, you can't look at a deer head as a whole.

You can't even look at an eye as a whole.

You need to break everything down into smaller portions (front top quarter of an eyelid) etc to really see the difference.

Most guys look at taxidermy and see deer hair, glass eyes, and antlers and say, "wow, my $300 mount is the same as that $600,)... they must have gotten ripped off"

Anyone can slap glass eyes on a firm and sew a skin around it.. and that's 90% of the guys who call themselves "taxidermists". Technically, you don't want a "taxidermist"... you want a"wildlife artist"

Edited by JerseyJaysTaxidermy

so now if I compete I need to go into further detail..stuff so small and time consuming it's pointless to point out here because no one would want to pay the $ it would cost to have one done that perfect l

The Nose is the details you pointed out in another post. The

The mount I am holding was done in partnership with an Up And coming Taxidermist in the 70s in Colina NJ  and The Jonas Brothers Montana world renowned Taxidermists. He did an paid apprentice under them  And took my Cape and Antlered Skul to Montana to do it in a Partnership It was done in what they called a Museum Mount. He already knew it Placed First Typical Nj that year.  It was showcased at TheNJ  Federated Sports Man NJDFAG Award dinner in Asbury Park. and Published in many places. so he wanted it to be his best work. It still is in great shape Nose needs touching up Hair Still good. I know it is hard from the Photo but comments taken willingly.    Bill

I have been trying to find it a good home for some time would like a Public Place, Business, I will make 1 more try at NJDFAG .    Bill 

Note the one top Right  :shock: and it was not the worst  :up:

msg-1645-0-14583000-1481313120.jpg

Final-Jonas-Brothers-Logo-1-11-2017.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

So many guys want their deers neck swollen beyond what it naturally was, and always ask if I can stretch it. My answer is "no".

Sure, with a good tan you can stretch a little more than natural, but that will not allow the skin to stack and wrinkle where it should.

That amazes me.  That's honestly the last thing I'd want, I'd want to get back the appearance of the same deer I shot, not the fake "improved" deer that was "created" for me.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

1957buck, that nose pad looks very good especially for the age of it. Techniques have changed quite a bit from the 70s to now...

Materials are more accessible and easier to work with.

Check out this link of a video from the world taxidermy competition a few years back.. i think many of you would find it interesting...

https://youtu.be/YNPkX3rLcvA

1957buck, that nose pad looks very good especially for the age of it. 

Not my Nose Pad fond That one on the internet Mine Dried smooth Black only part showing its age. ;)

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif