IGNORED

New regs for WTS and stocking info.

stratocaster

I know "some" of you are interested in the new regs being proposed for wild trout streams and trout fishing in general.  A friend of mine informed me:

On the stocking issue, it's not official as yet but apparently the state/DFW  has no intention of re-starting brown or brook trout production but has not made it public yet via any statement and is intending to phase out any stocking of surplus rainbow trout other than the spring stockings.  

Apparently they are only allowing the stocking of brown and brook trout to private fishing clubs eg: Lake Solitude etc, and only from approved hatcheries.  The past outbreak of furunculosis is no longer a factor in their decision making.  Again, this may not matter to most of you.  I fish for trout so I'm interested.

As to the regs being proposed, you can view them on the NJDEP site.  

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/news/2017/wts_proposal.htm

Yep, well looks like the last year I buy a trout stamp! Between taking near 1000 pheasant off Whittingham, Black River and Flattbrook each, and now just stocking rainbows? Guess I'll save 50.50 a year in stamps I no longer need to buy.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Darn it.  :-( I was hoping for the steroid enlarged Browns, Rainbows and Brookies.  I guess I will have to start cutting the barbs off my size 24 midges, and get some 10x leaders,  so I can stalk some wild 6 inch Brook trout. :cryingcry:

The past outbreak of furunculosis is no longer a factor in their decision making.

If that is true, then what is the reason for the future rainbow-only policy? I would figure if they did stop the brown/brook stocking program it was because they couldn't keep the disease out of the hatchery. 

I know "some" of you are interested in the new regs being proposed for wild trout streams and trout fishing in general.  A friend of mine informed me:

On the stocking issue, it's not official as yet but apparently the state/DFW  has no intention of re-starting brown or brook trout production but has not made it public yet via any statement and is intending to phase out any stocking of surplus rainbow trout other than the spring stockings.  

Apparently they are only allowing the stocking of brown and brook trout to private fishing clubs eg: Lake Solitude etc, and only from approved hatcheries.  The past outbreak of furunculosis is no longer a factor in their decision making.  Again, this may not matter to most of you.  I fish for trout so I'm interested.

As to the regs being proposed, you can view them on the NJDEP site.  

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/news/2017/wts_proposal.htm

It is not true that the Division is not going to stock browns and brookies.  In fact, they have been very straight that until they can build roofs over the raceways and add solar panels on top to keep the birds of prey out that are the vectors for furunculosis and to help power the facilities, they can't bring in the other two species to the hatchery.  They were originally hoping to have that all accomplished by the end of this year, but certain other NJ government agencies heard about the solar and jumped on board and in front of this project which is now ranked # 3 (down from # 1).  That now means about 5 years until the hatchery is ready to bring in new strains of trout.  Right now, current thinking is both brown and brook trout, but stocking them into some different waters and not certain waters that have wild trout of any species in them.  That will all get worked out in time.  Bottom line is furunculosis is driving all of the stocking issues we have today.  The Division knows full well that anglers aren't happy with rainbows only, but they have no other choices at the moment since our strain of rainbows don't break out in disease.  But they are carriers of the disease, hence why we can't bring in brown or brookies just yet.  

As for private stockings, it has always been true that you need a Division approved stocking permit ($2).  And for many years now, the hatchery you buy from must be certified disease free for trout.  Any private landowner or organization can stock with an approved permit and a disease free hatchery source.  Currently, the Musky Trout Hatchery is the only game around, but at least they raise some great fish.  They are also great guys - a 3 generation family business that might go back a couple more generations beyond Vern.  It is not just clubs.  Shannon's Fly Shop, for example, stocks the SBR in both the Ken Lockwoood Gorge No-Kill as well as upstream in general regulations waters.  That shop also raised funds to stock the Point Mountain TCA last year.