IGNORED

F&W Officers and You

I have seen way too many posts from people having trouble reporting infractions or even contacting F&W. I have the number for the central region office at Assunpink in my phone. Weekends I know I will get the machine. Being severely undermanned they cannot afford to have someone just answering phones. They are all out in the field. But there is a chance someone may be in the office and get your message and respond if they see there is still time to do something.

YOU need to get involved. If you see an infraction and cannot get a CO you need to handle it. Just blowing it off because you will be late getting into your stand don't cut it. Write down the license plate number. Confront them and tell them you are reporting them. Did you know you MUST show your hunting license to ANYONE that asks to see it?

F&W cannot do their job with the man power they currently are working with. They have been thinned out with Budget Cuts and Hiring Freezes since the late 80's. Imagine 2 officers trying to cover Monmouth County alone. Well that's what they are working with. They depend on you and me to help them. I know of all the unanswered calls by guys here. If they get the message and think they can still do something in the time frame they have they will call you. If you leave a message include the place it happened, plate number, and description of the D Bags they will look for them even if you don't get a call back. 

Remember these guys are on our side. Helping them is part of being an Outdoorsman. The rules are there for a reason. If you can't play by the rules you need not play. Consider every infraction you see personal. They are stealing from you and me. They are endangering our welfare. There are plenty of them out there and unless we help they will just go one doing it. Don't ever think you wasted your time calling. Every call is important.

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

I've got the cell phone number of our local CO....If I see something, I report it...especially for litterers....I catch you dumping I'll take a video and report you in a heart beat.....And safety zone violators/bear hunters set in a tree over bait or in a manmade ground blind.....Pics will be taken and you'll be reported immediately....Trespassers I'll warn once or twice because sometimes property lines aren't clear, but If I catch you a third time, I'll take a pic of you before I confront you and I'll be in court with it to prove you were trespassing and that I previously warned you.....Haven't had to much issue with trespassers in the last few years...finally thinking that the word is out that we prosecute

Steve, I agree to disagree.  Reporting is one thing but that can get involved.  I personally would never approach any Violators let alone ask to see their license. Violators are not friendly people and are no different than a Cornered Animal. You can make a report but if not caught in the act it is hard to prove. even a photo is questionable, I have reported violations in the past mostly fishing, 

I have approached a few fisherman and mentioned what they had was Illegal, and was met with hostilities, or They claimed they could not speak English :headscratch:  When you report a problem they will monitor that area better. 

To approach someone with a Gun   :laughing:  don't think so.  the problem is not just the Gun but when you go into the woods and leave your car for them to Vandalize is not a good idea. During hunting season the larger WLMZ always have a CO in the area.   

Your heart is in the right place, but I need mine,  :clapping:

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

If you see a CO in the field, approach him or her and introduce yourself and politely ask for one of their cards. Find out what WMA's or zones they cover, this way you can call them direct when reporting something at current time if it isn't happening at the time call the central office or ask them if they mind a call after the fact. I found several who have been most helpful and grateful in the past.

I would like to also caution approaching violators and demanding to see their license. You might be staggering away from that confrontation with a mouth full of chicklets. It's best to document and photograph or film from a position of safety. Armed a$$ holes in the woods should be delt with strategically. Above all be safe. Remember that incident in Wisconsin that resulted in a mass murder.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chai_Vang

Edited by Zipper

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

I have a friend that is a current CO and have known several over the years through my job, all now retired.  All good guys.  I carry the Clinton (Northern Region) phone # in my phone and nearly always get a real person on the other end.  For those up north, that number is 908-735-8240.  Like others, I have several CO's cell phones as well in case I don't get an answer at the Northern Region Office.  

Edited by Bucksnbows