IGNORED

Recommendations for an out of state whitetail hunt?

DeplorableDan

Have any of you guys used base camp leasing?.

I have. Base Camp had good properties at only somewhat inflated prices when they started out. Now, forget it. The only properties that come up for lease are the ones other guys have dumped due to problems. Those problems include being shot out, not good at holding deer and the most frequent one; locals who don't care about posted signs. There are/were some decent properties available through base camp but they are leased, and since they are good, they will be renewed each year.

Public land in Ohio stopped being the best kept secret 10 years ago. It's crowded, even in bow season. You can still find big deer there in places but you have to put your time in. I mean, serious scouting. Locals can do well because they live there, and people who are willing to make 4 or 5 trips in the off season to scout and prepare areas will do better. But it's public, so all that scouting may be blown up once seasons starts and the guys who go out to hunt for a week spend the first few days walking around looking for a place to hang a stand.

If your land in Pa & NY is producing 130's, 140's and 160's, you should just stay there and put more time in. Maybe you need to change up how and where you hunt it, try new entrance routes, etc. Now is the time to start scouting those places and look for new spots, refine entrance routes, create bedding by hinge cutting, establish new food sources, etc. 

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Have any of you guys used base camp leasing?

I have.  I got into a 60 acre lease in suburban Philly through it that worked out pretty well.  But, I agree with you and DV1 in that it's a real risk to go out of state like that.  It's just a crap shoot as to what you'll get and trespassing is a major issue.  

There is no bidding process though...just to be clear...each spot is listed with a price and it's a take it or leave it deal.  If a spot comes up, you have to put down a deposit to "hold it" and that gives you a week or so to go look at it.  If you don't proceed you lose the deposit (which is like 10% or 5% of the lease amount...I can't recall).  New spots do come up from time to time..that's usually the best opportunity.  Also, there is an annual membership of $150 or so which gives you a week earlier look than the public...this is the only way to even have a chance on a prime property.  

I would typically vote for an outfitter vs. an out of state lease just because of those issues you both mention.  But, $1k per man isn't going to get you much.  

The best way to find a lease in my opinion takes some time.  Do some research before you even leave the house on the area you want to hunt. Maybe book a hunt with an outfitter or hunt the state land if you must. Get into that area, go where the locals hang, restaurants at lunch time and dinner, bars in the evening. We have met so many people with property that would be willing to lease. These people come from small farm towns, they don't hang out on internet forums. Meet people face to face , buy them a drink, a lot of private ground to be hunted never gets advertised. Its called being in the right place at the right time 

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

The best way to find a lease in my opinion takes some time.  Do some research before you even leave the house on the area you want to hunt. Maybe book a hunt with an outfitter or hunt the state land if you must. Get into that area, go where the locals hang, restaurants at lunch time and dinner, bars in the evening. We have met so many people with property that would be willing to lease. These people come from small farm towns, they don't hang out on internet forums. Meet people face to face , buy them a drink, a lot of private ground to be hunted never gets advertised. Its called being in the right place at the right time

Good call, I'm looking for an outfitter in Maryland now. 3 day hunts around $1200. While we're there I'm sure to try out some of those tactics there

Most reputable outfitted hunts are going to be around $3,000 + for a week long hunt with lodging not including your tags, licenses, travel and tip. I have hunted with an outfit in Illinois, If you can wait until last minute for a cancellation hunt, you could get it closer to $2,000. Illinois Trophy Bowhunters is the outfit. Keep an eye on their facebbok page starting early summer. I usually don't push outfitters any more, because Im tired of hearing guys whine if they don't kill a deer. I myself wont hunt with them anymore over the actions of one of their guides, however I have taken a few nice ones off his farms.The deer in my avatar I was hunting on one of his farms but never saw him.I also sent you a PM about the outfitter that does the Missouri and Iowa hunts.

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/trophy-bucks/a-buck-named-curly/         http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/73-general-comments-information/112443-deer-lifetime-illinois-giant-pics.html

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com