IGNORED

Deload Week, How Do You Train (Or Not)?

Just as the title asks, what are you doing or how are you training during a deload week?  My last "off week" was the week of 12/25, and I think I am overdue to hit the reset button on my strength program, before kicking into high gear for my upcoming OCR events.  I am thinking that I will put the weights down for the entire week (4/1 through 4/7), and just focus on running and endurance that week.  3 run days, 2 days of cross-training (sandbags, atlas stones, agility), and maybe yoga twice that week.  Any ideas or thoughts? I am looking @Gman @not on the rug and @Northjerseyoutdoorsman here, haha.  

Depends...

Sometimes I'll do my basic movements like squat, deadlift, overhead press and use 60-70% of my 3 rep working weight.  Sometimes I'll just do bodyweight exercises.  Sometimes I'll just do yoga.  Depends on what I'm actually doing (like if I'm home, on vacation,  etc).

I wouldn't go crazy with volume or distance in the week leading up to a race.  Look at some plans online for how you're supposed to taper off before something like a half marathon or marathon and break it down from there

I prefer to take the week off instead of deload. I will walk and hike but thats it no running no lifting let the body get a chance to recover.  As far as pre race is I take 4 to 5 full days off of lifting before hand and do mostly walking maybe some low volume runs but as youu will find out OCRs especially the Spartans are Insanely demanding I remember finishing the 10k at Blue mountain and saying to myself it was the hardest test of physical fitness I had ever done. The weather was part of it it was crazy hot and humid and I was moving pretty fast (top 3 percent)  you don't wnat to be sore at all going into it the obstacles take so much energy out of you and your already doing them in a fatigued stare because the race directors use the terrain as the biggest most unforgiving obstacle.

And then post race your going to need a few days to recover. My first tough mudder 5k felt like nothing I actually came home and lifted that night so you should be fine all the fun demanding obstacles are on the Long course . But after all the Spartans  and longer tough mudders I showered and shoved my face with any food I could find and took multiple days off afterwards. I got screwed after my killington 21k beast i came down with covid shortly after and I just could not recover from the race and covid it was horrible with the 2 combined I wa so run down it was crazy.

1 hour ago, not on the rug said:

Sometimes I'll do my basic movements like squat, deadlift, overhead press and use 60-70% of my 3 rep working weight.

Rug's advice sounds right to me. I would not go 7 days without strength training.  I  recommend getting in two workouts that week  (like day 3 and 7) with the target rep range a fairly easy 8-12.  You should feel like you have a couple of reps left in you for the last rep. Compound movements like Rug said. Squats, Rows, Deadlift, Bench for example.