IGNORED

Can you hunt the Whitesbog Area?

HuntQs

I called the DEP since it’s in Brendan T Byrne but they said something like “I would think not.” and they asked me to call fish and game to confirm. I’m not asking for anyone’s spot but I’m just curious if anyone knows if you’re allowed to hunt around the bogs?

Edited by HuntQs

Call the Brendan T Byrne office and ask to talk to a park ranger. Most likely you will need to leave a number and someone will call you back. 

I had a similar situation with a portion of state forest and the NJDFW told me to contact a law enforcement officer for the park system. 

Edited by Devil Horns

I'm your Huckleberry :devious:

I use to duck hunt there often for a number of years. There were always a lot of duck hunters there back then. Have not hunted there in last 20 years. However I still go there  and see fresh empty shells on the ground. Also, you could deer hunt there and it use to be good grouse hunting years ago but the grouse are gone now like most other places which has resulted in a closed season. Don’t see why the hunting situation would have changed.

The only places you can’t hunt or are off limits to hunting are posted as such at state parks, which is largely just around buildings, etc. That’s how most operate, as long as you’re within FW regs and not behind posted signs that say it’s an off limits area, it’s good. 

1 hour ago, Greg said:

The bogs themselves would be leased from what I've heard. The woods around them are state forest and I have been hunting them forever. 

Yes there are large areas at Whitesbogs that are leased from the State and actively farmed. Those areas are marked and you can’t hunt there. However there is a number of old bogs that are not used  and other ponds that can be hunted. The old bogs and ponds are connected to the active bogs by small canals. The farmer that leases the land does control the water in the abandoned bogs and ponds and uses that water for the active bogs. So some years the old bogs and ponds are drained and there is very little if any water in them.