IGNORED

Bowfishing

ModernOutdoorsMan

1 hour ago, Shug said:

Pick up a used older bow I’m sure you could find one in the $100 range.

Are you leaning towards recurve or compound?

What do you know about carp fishing Mr.fancy shirt.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

2 hours ago, ModernOutdoorsMan said:

Anyone recommend any starter kits for bowfishing? Don’t know the first thing about but looking to get involved. Thanks in advance

I have a bow you can have for free. Would like to see it go to good use.No accessories. Reels can cost you, to start with zebco 808 are affordable then you go into Ams$$as far as the heads don't get the barbed bend on big fish.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

• 2 months later...

I used to do a lot of carp shooting. I’d rig my arrows so that a steel cable ran the length of the arrow with a HD swivel to slide the arrow to keep the string in front of the riser and your hand but upon release it would slide to the knock. I used to use a bottle reel and I liked it. I would walk the banks of the Passaic river very quietly. You’d see 50 fish, shoot at 10 and get 3 or 4 on an average evening walk. Don’t forget lots of deep wood off! And don’t miss a spot! Those mosquitos will find the untreated back of your hand! 

3 minutes ago, Asbury24 said:

Where was it shot?

I forget I think it was Spruce run or greenwood lake. If you go to F&W it'll say because he had to disclose.

I miss Delawareriver he was a good guy on njh he was a lineman for the county fished carp contests in many states.

I used to go alot when I was younger..Passaic river in clifton /passaic/Garfield was a blast for carp and shad.

Bottle reel

Muzzy heads

Fiberglass driveway markers as arrows.

Epoxy nocks on and heads on and drill a hole for string to tie to.

Make sure your hand is under the string and not over it or it will probably hurt you pretty bad.

Aim low the deeper they are. 

Screenshot_20230710_213621_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230710_213724_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230710_213751_Chrome.jpg

8 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

I used to go alot when I was younger..Passaic river in clifton /passaic/Garfield was a blast for carp and shad.

Bottle reel

Muzzy heads

Fiberglass driveway markers as arrows.

Epoxy nocks on and heads on and drill a hole for string to tie to.

Make sure your hand is under the string and not over it or it will probably hurt you pretty bad.

Aim low the deeper they are. 

Screenshot_20230710_213621_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230710_213724_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230710_213751_Chrome.jpg

You and me both Jay when we you're allowed to park on the highway in the shoulder, it was my practice ground before hitting the Delaware and the Hudson, never anything bigger than 12 lb there. It all ended when I guess it was too many complaints they put signs up no stopping or parking.

1 hour ago, hunterbob1 said:

You and me both Jay when we you're allowed to park on the highway in the shoulder, it was my practice ground before hitting the Delaware and the Hudson, never anything bigger than 12 lb there. It all ended when I guess it was too many complaints they put signs up no stopping or parking.

Yea we parked on rt 21 when it was all torn uo dirt in mid 90s

Also shot right off the Monroe street railroad Bridge. Cops used to hang out and watch.

Then in 2002-2004 I started going alot and was good..

My cousin went late 2000s and got a bullsht trespassing ticket for being in clifton Park (always locked gate broken down and nothing but homeless living along the river there)

Edited by JerseyJaysTaxidermy

The AMS retriever reel is a must buy for bowfishing.   You will be able to reach out quite a ways with it.  I have hit and gotten carp at over 20 yards away with mine.  I bought it in the mid 90's for around 50 bucks.   The fishing arrow heads that unscrew to release the fish are also a good item to have.

Great tip about the driveway markers, first time I have ever heard that one.