IGNORED

Gun Dog Training Areas - WMAs

I have a 2-year old Lab which I am training for mainly upland hunting. I know there are certain times of the year where dogs are to be only trained in designated Dog Training Areas on certain WMAs. Does that mean I would not be allowed to “exercise” or cool off my dog in the WMA lakes and surrounding bodies of water if it lies outside the boundaries of the “Training Area”?

I see on the NJ Fish & Wildlife website there are designated WMAs which have   Water access areas for “Water Dogs Only” (Hainesville WMA)  and “Water Retriever” (Millville WMA).  However, both these places are either far North or South NJ. Nothing in Central- I’m specifically referring to either Assunpink or Collier Mills.

I’m not talking about setting up a portable blind, decoys and firing training dummies out of a launcher, but I just want to throw a training bumper into the water and let him swim out to retrieve it. I know there are people who do a lot worse things on the WMAs, but am I overthinking this???  Of course, I’d be aware of other people fishing (sometimes even swimming) or in  the area not to disturb them. 

I take my dog out to Colliers or Assunpink regularly to do water or field retriever training.  Never had a problem with him swimming in any of the lakes.  Only time it may be a problem is if one of the clubs is having a training day or hunt test and they are using the area.  The clubs have permits from Fish and Game to use those areas for training and tests on certain days.  The best time to go, particularly on the weekends, is very early in the morning when there are very few people around trying to fish or run there dogs.  Just be considerate of other people who are out there fishing or training there dogs