IGNORED

Finally saw a long beard today.

njtransplant

Been a rough go so far this week. I haven’t seen or even heard any birds until 10 am this morning. I  Spotted 2 nice Toms in a corner of a field and moved in on them. I swung wide around through the woods and crept up to within about 80 yards of them. I Threw out some calls and no response, they just turned and walked away.  it’s only my second year turkey hunting so I’m asking some opinions on my move for morning.

If this happened to you, how would you hunt them the next day? 

1)  Been windy as sin - they are not really going to want to be in the woods and especially so when they can't see where the sound is coming from. 

2) 10am birds are your friends if played right. You are farther from the roost area most likely and seeing them when they're getting done breeding. 

3) I would move closer to the direction they came from to cut them off as they enter field, or set up in an area with decoys in field knowing eventually they're going to get done breeding and go off on their own way from the hens. Be visual and call less in that situation. They'll know you're there. Don't overplay your hand.