IGNORED

Bow hunting Turkeys

HighEndHooker

27 minutes ago, electricstart said:

I give the guys that can do with a bow a lot of credit  ,not easy especially solo . Crossbow might be easier . I use the 12 gauge , why take a knife to a gun fight . LOL

How many turkeys have you had spit and drum so close it makes your hair stand up . 

they are exciting birds to hunt . Having them inside 10 yards and watching the show just adds to the intensity. 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

My thoughts are  that calling in and taking a real wild turkey blind free is about as hard as it gets for things you can do with a bow…

There are turkey in parts of the state that aren’t hunted  hard and are Un afraid of people.. you can walk up to them and kill them with a rock… lol

Thats why I used the term “ real wild turkey “

My own personal find is I need to call in 7-10 birds in bow range before everything works out and I take a bird.

Last year was one of my best years..

on opening day I took a bird at 12 yards a week later I called another good bird into range (15 yards)and got picked off before even trying to draw my bow…at 25 yards he went behind a tree and I drew when he stepped out I shot him  but he flew off into a nearby gun club property…

all I got were some of his feathers.

Im expecting a bad next couple of years

sine I got two years action in two weeks…

Ill also say this it sometimes happens so easily where everything happens just right …the tom walks behind a big enough tree to hide your draw or he struts and his tail blocks his eyes .

I guess you just have to screw up the 8 or so times prior to get them..

113C0195-4581-4229-BA06-BB9487F8C2E4.jpeg

57F53BDC-4F4C-49D9-A488-EAA90D4ECC98.jpeg

Edited by Shug

2 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

How many turkeys have you had spit and drum so close it makes your hair stand up . 

they are exciting birds to hunt . Having them inside 10 yards and watching the show just adds to the intensity. 

I agree but so hard to move and draw bow unless crossbow when so close . Two guys may be a lot easier one guy calling one with bow . . Ground blind maybe  which I have never used for turkey . Like  I said a lot of respect for guys that do with Bow. I am excited from the first Gobble could be a mile away . I have had them 5 feet from me but cannot move. Usually use decoys which probably could get bow shot off when they are strutting and  gobble or spit and drum . I only hunt deer with bow for last 10 years . Love the Bow . Turkey its Benelli SB2 12 gauge extra full choke 31/2 Winchester supreme number 4 . When I hunted them . Now I just enjoy calling them in for my kid or just for fun which I do a lot . 

One thing I also do is use a push button call with rubber bands around the box.

I stick the hen decoy stake  trough the rubber bands and tie a string to the push button and bring it back to me( 15 yards)  this make the caking and movement come from the decoy..

when a bird gets within 50 yards with me less call is more

Edited by Shug

Went one year with the crossbow and got one.  The next year I went the turkeys had shut up and hens were on the nests already.  That was it for me.  Too hot and I'm not into turkey hunting that much to pay the NJ price, or want to keep traveling to PA for one.  I watch them walk by when the fall turkey season is open during fall bow deer season in PA.  Not taking a shot at a turkey that could blow my chances at a deer.

IMG_0624ca.jpg.771560f04793b41df63e446ede139cd7.jpg

IMG_0842ca.jpg.594173d8988bd804bf45b749f9bfad82.jpg