IGNORED

Hunting in Chatham, NJ

A town ordinance DOES supercede any state law with the exception if the land is owned by the state.

I am not sure this is 100% correct.  Municipal ordinances cannot over rule statutory requirements. So depending on what the statute and guidelines require, the ordinance may be illegal.

Two examples:  Towns cannot create anti-hunting ordinances because there is a hunting statue which is law.  Towns also cannot create an ordinance to allow residences to not pay property taxes.

However, since there isn't a legal right to discharge statue in NJ, towns can create ordinances to stop it, but there is a section of the hunting statute and firearms statue that allows people legally hunting to carry and discharge firearms.

But I'm not a lawyer.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I am not sure this is 100% correct. Municipal ordinances cannot over rule statutory requirements. So depending on what the statute and guidelines require, the ordinance may be illegal.

Two examples: Towns cannot create anti-hunting ordinances because there is a hunting statue which is law. Towns also cannot create an ordinance to allow residences to not pay property taxes.

However, since there isn't a legal right to discharge statue in NJ, towns can create ordinances to stop it, but there is a section of the hunting statute and firearms statue that allows people legally hunting to carry and discharge firearms.

But I'm not a lawyer.

Just to build on what you said:

Towns cannot have a no discharge law that prevents lawful hunting. A town ordnance cannot supercede a state law to prevent lawful activity. There are many cases where this exists. The problem is that you have to fight the town ordnance, hopefully before you are in trouble.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

- Mack