IGNORED

Venison Meatballs

archer36

You know why the wife started baking the meatballs? She wanted to get the outside a bit crispy so the meatballs don't fall apart in the gravy. I disagree with that, but what can you do? I'm the real Italian in the family and if I had my druthers, I would say screw frying OR baking entirely - I'd rather just put them in the gravy raw and let them cook in the gravy low and slow - the bonus is all the lovely fat renders out of the meat and flavors the gravy!

If you fry or bake, you lose all that goodness that could go right into the gravy.

12 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

You know why the wife started baking the meatballs? She wanted to get the outside a bit crispy so the meatballs don't fall apart in the gravy. I disagree with that, but what can you do? I'm the real Italian in the family and if I had my druthers, I would say screw frying OR baking entirely - I'd rather just put them in the gravy raw and let them cook in the gravy low and slow - the bonus is all the lovely fat renders out of the meat and flavors the gravy!

If you fry or bake, you lose all that goodness that could go right into the gravy.

Some people do that. I never did. Always used to fry them. Then I found a better way. 

1 hour ago, yoda4x4 said:

I have to agree with BHC on this. Baking meatballs is just useless. And no self-respecting Italian bakes them.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Well I guess I am not self respecting but I am Italian. I was born there, my Parents and Grandparents were born there. How about you "fry guys". What's your family backrounds?

Besides,  no Italian I know uses venison in their meatballs so I don't know why your panties are in a bunch over frying. LOL

Anyway, I said "meatballs", not Italian meatballs. LOL

Edited by archer36

19 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

That's how I do it and my Italian co-workers love them.