IGNORED

First surf rod

CJ3a

I am thinking about adding a surf rod to the arsenal. I don't get down to the shore often but would like to hit the jetties when I am there. What should I be looking at? Length, reel, etc.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

All around rod?  Bait mostly?  Plugs mostly?  Tossing metal a long distance?  Stripers and blues or fluke and kingfish?  Those are some of the questions to ask yourself.  I haven't personally bought a spin or casting rod in many, many years preferring to fly fish almost exclusively, but I still own a bunch and once in awhile I like to toss plugs for bass and carry my plug rod with the fly rod when I'm on the beach.  I'm sure others here will give you good advice on some of the newer model rods and reels.  

Yeah a lot of good questions by BnB. It also comes down to budget for the setup.

I tend to put the majority of my budget to the reel, and then just get a suitable rod with some quality guides to match to it.

I don't fish jetties or the beach often, when I do it's either with a light bucktailing setup for fluke (6'6" MH Tica [although I'd prefer 7'] with a Shimano 3000FI and braid) or a plugging setup for stripers/blues (8'6" Tsunami spinning rod with a Daiwa SS1600 [wouldn't recommend the reel, I'd go something with more capacity] but the price point on the rod is great).

You'll certainly want a reel with some capacity as you can't really follow the fish...and if you hook into a whopper, you'll be sick for days if you get spooled haha

Rod wise, IMHO unless you're trying to reach beyond the 3rd break of waves...you don't need a monster surf setup, i.e. an 11-15' setup, to launch weight and bait way out there. There's plenty of stripers and fluke really close to the jetties and the beach. I've caught fluke literally at my feet in less than a foot of water off the beach.

I like to keep things fairly light, bring a small bag of gear/plugs and roam the beach.

Tica surf rods are good for the money...

For dunking bait in spring I use at least an 11 footer in my spikes

If Im working the bank with plugs I use a lightweight 8' rod  that I can whip. I also like using the 8' for tossing lightweight jigs w/finesse worms  1/4 oz  for blues and weakies...

referral-0686239001424316551.png

PredaTorch.com         Hot Estrous Doe and Other Deer Scent, Night Predator Lights