IGNORED

2014 Predator Hunting Contest

Matty

No decoy tonight. Usually only use them during the day.

Shoot Remington 870's with 2-3/4" #4's (fox only spots, never see yotes in these setups, otherwise we'd have the T shot in)

Tonight was a little unorthodox in that we setup back to back on a crosswind, which worked insanely well, but we learned a couple years ago that it sometimes allows them to see our movement. Because we're lit up from behind by the other guys light. Basically we are silhouetting  each other. But my brother, who's 17, has never done this before and wanted me to sit with him so I could coach him if need be. 

I know that was the issue, because when either of us would move our guns for shots, they'd spot it and turn on the afterburners, which never happens with a single light source in one direction. The only two shots we got were on foxes that basically came in front of the gun. 

Still a fun night despite the misses and mishaps. 

Next time.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Matty, I've done the back to back setup too...the key I've found is when the other hunter catches eyes to signal to the other hunter (PSSST, PSSSSSST) and the other hunter to turn his light off and just sit there while the hunter with eyes closes the deal.  It's actually pretty suspenseful being on the "blind" side not knowing what's going down or when the shot is going to happen! :)

Yeah, I actually raise my light to the point it pretty much disappears when the other guy "bumps me three times" (that's our signal) since I'm afraid to turn it off for a couple reasons. I also generally keep it higher to begin with in a setup like this. As I'm sure you know....you hardly need any visible light to pick up eyes.

However, my brother being new to this, didn't know any better. He had his light shining very directly on the spot so I was a sitting duck whenever I tried to move.

I'll have to teach him some more about it before we head out again. 

Even I caught myself forgetting and lowering the light a few times. Sometimes you just feel like you HAVE to SEE what's happening! LOL....

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Yeah, we used to use them at night all the time. And I bet Mike and Joe and the other guys still do (or will)....

I just don't like carrying anything extra. lol

I don't even use them during the day that often. Sometimes it actually works better without it, because they slow down and even SIT when they don't see anything. (usually within 30 yards).....But when they see the decoy, they turn it on and charge that sucker. I already suck at hitting them, I prefer them sitting still over moving like red rockets. LOL

I know I'm different though...Most guys would feel naked without a decoy.

If any of you crazy kids wouldn't mind a tag along one night, let me know.  I would like to observe to learn.  I don't have the equipment (lights or calls or decoys), so I wouldn't plan on hunting with you (basically I don't want to steal anyone's spot or jack the the hard work they put in for their hunt).

In in North Jersey, Morris County.  Let me know.

- Mack

did an AM sit today, saw notta...typical for this sport, LOL!!!!   Little chilly up this way this morning had -4 ...Did a little scouting as well.  Found lots of promising sign, see what happens after this freexzing rain comes thru tomorrow.  Hate it when you get that Ice layer on the snow...Way to noisey to walk in to sits....Good luck out there !!!

Yea Joe, that's a tad chilly. lol

Last night I was out with two of my brothers, Mike and Andy.

We tried to get out around 10:30pm, but ended up not getting out to hunt until 2am.

We ended up getting two sits in and ended just before 5am. It was a little warmer last night and ranged from  5* to 15* in the two different spots we went.

First sit was nothing....that we saw anyway, we all swore we heard something run in to the North but since I didn't have a gun, I didn't have my light on either and it was out in front of me (if it was anything).

Second sit started off slow. About 30 minutes into it when I was getting ready to call it quits, a fox barked somewhat nearby. I immediately barked back (with my voice).

About 30 seconds later I hear our youngest brother Mike say...."Ooh ooh"....then I hear some commotion and the light shining all over, then some cursing. lol....

That sucker was at 10 yards just outside the light on Mikes left. Mike said it sprinted in and when he tried to turn the gun, he caught the light on the shooting stick and bumped the light off target. By the time he got it squared away, he said the fox was just too far for an ethical shot.

Mack, I'm in Morris County too. I might be able to have you tag along. And if you're going to come, you might as well bring a gun. I have an extra light. Once I see what the wind directions will be for Monday night, my brother Mike and I will probably go out for a little while (earlier evening) can't stay out too late since he has to be up at 5:30 for school.

Quick question. Was I reading it right when you can use #4 buckshot with permit day or night?

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford