IGNORED

Head lamp

I have a Primos headlamp.

First, the white light puts out a very good beam - I was impressed with how bright it was for being so small.

Has a red and green lens that you can flip over the white (the colored lenses are built-in and swivel in and out, so you never lose them and are always available to you because they are always attached to the lamp).

The button is slightly recessed and requires a distinct press to "click" it to turn on (high), on  (low), off - so it never accidentally turns on while banging around in a backpack.

The knurled screw lets you easily be able to open the battery compartment in the field if you ever need to change batteries (i.e. no need to have a small screwdriver or tool to open it up). Takes 2 AA batteries, so easy/cheap to carry replacements. I use rechargeable NiMH batteries in them.

It has the headband with the strap that also goes over the top of your head - I like this because it feels more stable and that top strap means it won't slide down.

It is also surprisingly small - doesn't take up a lot of room in a pack.

I love everything about this lamp, but I am not sure they make it anymore - I hope I never lose mine. But if you can find one somewhere, that's what I recommend. It wasn't expensive like some on the market. I don't think I spent $50 for it - I think it was something like $30 or $40 (this was a few years ago when I bought it).

It's this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QG58NU

41beNE2oroL.jpg

24 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I have a Primos headlamp.

First, the white light puts out a very good beam - I was impressed with how bright it was for being so small.

Has a red and green lens that you can flip over the white (the colored lenses are built-in and swivel in and out, so you never lose them and are always available to you because they are always attached to the lamp).

The button is slightly recessed and requires a distinct press to "click" it to turn on (high), on  (low), off - so it never accidentally turns on while banging around in a backpack.

The knurled screw lets you easily be able to open the battery compartment in the field if you ever need to change batteries (i.e. no need to have a small screwdriver or tool to open it up). Takes 2 AA batteries, so easy/cheap to carry replacements. I use rechargeable NiMH batteries in them.

It has the headband with the strap that also goes over the top of your head - I like this because it feels more stable and that top strap means it won't slide down.

It is also surprisingly small - doesn't take up a lot of room in a pack.

I love everything about this lamp, but I am not sure they make it anymore - I hope I never lose mine. But if you can find one somewhere, that's what I recommend. It wasn't expensive like some on the market. I don't think I spent $50 for it - I think it was something like $30 or $40 (this was a few years ago when I bought it).

It's this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QG58NU

41beNE2oroL.jpg

Holy crap you brought me back a few years with this one! I have 2 of these and they still work as well as the day I bought em. I switched to a cabelas headlamp ultimately because the red light was much brighter on it

3 minutes ago, birdshotnj said:

red light was much brighter on it

Ah yes! That would be the one thing I will complain about wrt that Primos lamp - using the filters do dim the beam quite a bit. The white beam is bright, but the filters lower down the brightness. 

The headlamp I use now is the Cabelas XPG. It's the only headlamp I've ever owned (I've gone through a lot of em) whose red light is almost as bright as the white. Unbelievably powerful. I bought a couple of them back when my buddy recommended it to me, and now of course theyve stopped making them. Classic cabelas they always discontinue their best products 

14 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I am not sure they make it anymore

Bah! They did discontinue it. I sent their CS an email and just got a response:

Thank you for contacting Primos Customer Support. The Top Gun head lamp has been discountinued and we no longer have any of this product. We have had several calls wanting these and we are unable to get them.

I'll just make sure I don't lose mine :) 

Edited by mazzgolf