IGNORED

Dead Ringer vrs other broad head tests by the Adrenaline Junkies

I am posting this just for information and review. Before you start telling me that you are shooting deer and not barrels, I understand that. Kyle Wieter, host of the Adrenaline Junkies television show put together this video presentation. These tests simply show how tough these new Dead Ringer Hunting broad heads are. It is important to remember that in addition to being tough, these broad heads fly with field tip accuracy. There are no doubt some other broad heads on the market today that perform well but here you will see that the entire line of Dead Ringer Hunting broad Heads all perform well without exception.  I personally shot Rage heads for the last few seasons but was always annoyed with how I had to keep checking to see that the blades were in place and locked by the O ring. In addition to having to keep checking to be sure that then head was ready to shoot, every Rage broad head I shot was a one and done deal. I have seen Dead Ringer Hunting Rampage and Trauma broad heads that have taken several animals with the same head.  As for the question of price, you will  pay the same amount for three Rage broad heads as I do for the Dead Ringer Rampage and Trauma broad heads so if you are basing you choice of a broad head on just the price in my opinion the Dead Ringer Broad heads well are worth the cost.  Lastly, yes I do work for Dead Ringer Hunting so of course I will promote their products however please don’t lose sight of the facts. These new Hybrid Broad Heads are simply great flying, hard hitting, and super tough broad heads. I truly believe that within a couple of years that they will be the number one selling broad heads on the market.  The tests don’t lie and the results speak for themselves. You don’t have to take my word or Kyle’s word for it, just give them a try and “you be the judge”! Be safe and good hunting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GfEsm7e7_s

I liked your video  tests and the hunts were cool to watch. :up: The  steel barrel is certainly a torture test and will definately show any weakness in a head.

What advantage will one of these heads give me over a well made fixed blade head? Not bashing at all. I'm a fan of mechanicals as well as fixed blade heads.

"You don’t have to take my word or Kyle’s word for it, just give them a try and “you be the judge”!

With that said, I will gladly take a sample pack of your heads in a 100 grain 2 or 3 blade configuration to demo. :)

Edited by BowTechExperience

Besides what has been demonstrated on this video the advantage of these heads is that they are Hybrid heads which give you the best of both the fixed blade and mechanical heads. They have a 7/8" cut on contact so the cut like a fixed blade and then open like a mechanical head to 1.5 all the way up to a 2" cut depending on the model you choose. IMO you can't beat that combination. In addition to being so tough, they will fly exactly like a field tip which is something that many heads can't really do although they will say that they will fly like a field tip. You need to check them out. The reason why they don't make "practice tips" is basically because you won't need to practice to make sure they are hitting where your fields tip is hitting. Thanks for the question and the best of luck to you this season no matter what head you decide to hunt with!

Greg

Greg, that's an awesome video, all around! :up:

One thing that stood out to me was your concern about being criticized about shooting barrels.  Believe it or not, I've done similar tests with heads in the past for many of the same reasons.  I think a test like that really is a testament to the durability of a head...if it can pass the test of shooting through a barrel, there's nothing in an animal that would parallel that (I guess an argument could be made for really big [African] game shoulder density/thickness).  Coincidentally there is a guy from overseas that designs heads and actually shoots them through big game (primarily shoulder) to test their effectiveness.  Obviously we all don't have those "resources" to utilize for testing, and I think a barrel certainly suffices in the world of hardness/density.

Another aspect that I didn't see in the video, and is often of concern when it comes to mechanical broadheads, is the ability to penetrate on extreme angles.  I'd imagine this hybrid design would certainly perform better under those extreme angles versus a strict mechanical head. :up:

Good stuff, thanks for sharing, and I hope you share some more videos in the future!

Im on the fence with mechanicals vs. fixed.. Fixed = no worries, it WILL work.. Mechanicals = i hope it works like its suppose too every time you take a shot.....  Maybe this "hybrid" is the answer.. a 7/8 cut should do the job if it does malfunction and i would like to use something that flys like a field tip.... But then again should aint the same as WILL.... :hmmmer:

Still on the fence.. :cupcoffee:

:D

I have harvested a deer , turkey & black bear with the same Trauma (x-bow) broadhead from dead ringer. Incredibly tough broadhead, sharp as hell, & flew true like the field tips out of my x bow. The entrance & exit holes were amazing with incredible blood trails. This will be the broadhead I'm shooting this year even out of my compound. I also saw what their Rampage head did to a black bear. Truly impressive performance.

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers:

I've never shot a mechanical.. but i have a hard time believing those O rings dont change the aerodynamics enough to keep it from flying like a field tip...  You would have to think at least it would make a difference at longer ranges, say 30 plus yards...

I will add my opinion in regards to claims of broadheads flying like field points, or to the same impact point of a field point. A well made head mated onto an arrow should hit the same spot as your field point, however there are a few things that have to all work together in order for this to happen:

A must is a well tuned bow, and in order for a bow to be well tuned, your arrows need to be spined propery for your draw length and draw weight.

Your cam/s need to be in sync.

Draw lenght needs to be correct.

You, the archer must have decent form, no death grip on the riser, or wacky bent or hyper extended bow arm.

Consistant anchor point

The broadhead to arrow alignment MUST be 100% square to the insert so that there is "0" wobble. You should feel no vibration at all if they are balanced or aligned properly.

The broadhead weight should be of the same weight as your field point.

Etc, etc.....

So.... lets say all of the above has been done, hopefully your broadheads should hit to the same impact point, however YOU MUST SHOOT them to confirm this and never rely on any manufacturers statements as to accuracy, because yes they will if tested with a Hooter Shooter, but once you introduce the human element all bets are off til confirmed.

Just for the hell of it the last few days I've been shooting 3 different types of broadheads at 50 yards to test the tune of my bow.

1. Slick Trick 100 grain Magnums at 1/18" cut. The head is short and stubby. 4 blade

2. Steele Force 100 grain Sabertooth cut on contact head, which is a long head. 4 blade.

3. Simmons 125 grain Land Shark with the bleeder blades. They are 105 without the bleeder and that is how I shot it today. As such it is a wide 2 blade.

I screwed them onto random arrows in my quiver, did not try to align the blades with the fletching but made sure thet they spin clean and no wobble. Each head has hit either dead on or within 1" at 50 yards. What that says is to me that my bow is tuned to me and  my form.

The key to accuracy is a properly tuned bow with matched equipment and practice to the point where you feel 1000% confident in your shot, and practice with your broadheads as much as possible because a bow can come out of tune when strings and or cables stretch and you might not notice it with field points but broadheads will tell the story.

So with all that babble above said, I am actually not anti-expandalbe at all. I think they are a cool and efficient head, however just because the blades are extremely low profile, there is still a profile and it can change your impact point. Also another thing to think about is what does any broadhead's length do to the spine of an arrow. For example, field tips are fairly short and stubby, which means that it has little impact on the spine/stiffness of your arrow, but add an expandlable broadhead with a 2" cut ( the blades have to be either inside the ferrule or along it ) to the same arrow and you are basically adding 2" to the shaft which can cause a weak arrow spine and then cause your arrow to react differently upon launch. I think the expandables came into existance because bows are getting faster and faster, archers don't have enough time to practice, or experience in tuning a bow, so the very low profile expandable is kinda like a band-aid to either a tuning issue or form issue. I will add that everyone shooting them does not fall into that catagory but i think the average joe might.

Ahhhh...finally in closing, ALWAYS test shoot all of your broadheads you intend to hunt with.

I thought I was done...lol.. Just because we buy bows at pro shops and the techs set them up for us, and some shops will claim to tune your bow for you, they cannot create the influence on the bow that you or I will. Yes they can set the nock level to the riser, make sure center shot is square and you cam/s are timed, but once you put your hand on that grip, it becomes a different animal. The rest might need a bit of tweeking. The peep could be a smidge low or high which will pull your head out of alignment. So FINALLY in closing any kind of bow tuning at a bow shop must involve you the shooter there so that he can make those adjustments to your style of shooting.

Axiom, get that new Hoyt out there and shoot the hell out of it man. 700 shots you referenced in another post, hell man 700 shots this weekend.. LOL

Just my .02

Axiom, get that new Hoyt out there and shoot the hell out of it man. 700 shots you referenced in another post, hell man 700 shots this weekend.. LOL

lol.. cant do it man.. I'm struggling with the 60 lb draw.... only good for less that 50 shots a day right now before the arm calls it quits..... But i'll get there in short order...

lol.. cant do it man.. I'm struggling with the 60 lb draw.... only good for less that 50 shots a day right now before the arm calls it quits..... But i'll get there in short order...

Treat it like a work out routine. One day on one day off, and remember there is no better exercise for drawing your bow other that shooting it. Most importantly make sure your bow is tuned. You can build from there. Good luck..

Man that was a novel by BowTechstoy! Leo Tolstoy doesn't have anything on you! :rofl:

All great points though. I'm curious how your bow would group with my method of fletched FP, unfletched FP, and fletched BH! :D

Sweet!!!!!

Grab that Ross, dust it off, head up to Jackson and lets smash some knocks.

Regarding the "walk back tune", I think my paper tune will hold up against it. Only because I tune at various distances though. If one were to only test up close, no way.. The walk back tune is definately superior in regard to a fixed distance tune..