IGNORED

foresters

BYOCS - bring your own chainsaw, love it. Might eventually take you up on that.

I would still need the plan drawn up and submitted to the state by an approved forester for the tax rebate. Any recommendations off the state list would be greatly appreciated.

Most foresters want your woods to look like a park. Tall hardwood canopy and no under brush, blow downs, invasive brush etc. Problem is then there is minimal cover. Deer will pass through but not reside. Qdm and forester goals are usually contradictory. My advice would be to be upfront about your goals and hopefully you and your forester can work together to satisfy your goals and the timber assessment requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug Tavella

Newton, NJ

Doug is my forester and the best of the best, but he is not taking on new clients for woodlot plans.  He's only interested now in clients that really want to get serious about managing their forests and not just for the tax breaks.

To answer questions some asked, foresters prepare and submit plans to the state for approval before forestry work can commence.  You need this for tax savings if you have 5 or more acres to enroll in a forestry plan.  Doug and I wrote my Forestry Stewardship Plan together nearly 10 years ago now and we have done 4 clearcuts, about 10 acres of TSI, plantings of an apple and peach orchard and numerous white pine and spruce to add a dark forest component, and one select harvest of big timber for the mills in PA.   

Most foresters want your woods to look like a park. Tall hardwood canopy and no under brush, blow downs, invasive brush etc. Problem is then there is minimal cover. Deer will pass through but not reside. Qdm and forester goals are usually contradictory. My advice would be to be upfront about your goals and hopefully you and your forester can work together to satisfy your goals and the timber assessment requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's true.  They are killing all the sticker bushes with the red berries that the deer and turkey love to eat on one property that I hunt on.  Going to be open as heck in there soon.  Deer love to bed in there.

That's true.  They are killing all the sticker bushes with the red berries that the deer and turkey love to eat on one property that I hunt on.  Going to be open as heck in there soon.  Deer love to bed in there.

Invasive Japanese barberry.  If native plants were in their place, the deer would prefer them over the barberry.  A good forester will recommend removal of them and all other invasives where practical.  

Invasive Japanese barberry.  If native plants were in their place, the deer would prefer them over the barberry.  A good forester will recommend removal of them and all other invasives where practical.  

I believe it.  They just spayed them so they are turning brown now. Just going to be pretty open for a while, maybe I can take advantage of during gun season.  I'll be able to see in there a lot better. :up:

Edited by Nomad

I use Dennis Galway but if its cost that is your major concern he may not be your guy.

As for your woodland management plan if you are upfront with your forester that you want recreation from your land it can be writen in within reason if you don't say "Hey I want to watch birds and stuff and shoot deer not make the place look like a city park" he or she may just assume what you want and that's not good. Dennis is good at answering questions and a great guy to have a beer with to.

Dennis Galway SAF, CF, CTE PO Box 789 Bernardsville, NJ 07924 Tel. 908.696.9133 Fax: 908.696.9133 Area: Entire state Services: 1-12 Email: dgalwaydsl@verizon.net

What does a Forester do ?

for·est·er
ˈfôrəstər/
noun

1. 1.
    a person in charge of a forest or skilled in planting, managing, or caring for trees.
  2. 2.
    archaic
    a person or animal living in a forest

So there you have it.  It also takes you to the grocery store and other places if you own one.