IGNORED

Crossbow Backstop Ideas

dlist777

I live in the suburbs. I have just shy of one acre and I practice with my Xbow. I shoot into a target made just for field tips and then a second one (block style) for broadheads. I'm looking to build some type of backstop behind both targets for safety. I've never actually had an arrow miss the target completely. But, I'm trying to set my neighbor's mind at ease. 

I was thinking maybe getting a 4x8 3/4 inch plywood sheet from Lowes / Home Depot. Then, maybe cutting in 1/2 so I have 2 4/x4's. Then, screw them together. Do you think that will stop an errant bolt? 

Another thought I had was to attach the two sheets with a 2/4 frame in between and then filling the gap with some type of insulation...

I shoot fast bows 380 FPS and 425 FPS. 

All ideas welcome.

one of the things i read i haven't tried yet myself is a cable from tree to tree or a 4x4 to 4x4 and an old piece of carpet over the cable so it moves freely allowing the carpet to knock down the bolt or arrow  or i see some using one of the rubber mats that tractor supply or a farm place sells that are used for horse stalls you wold bolt /screw to a 2x or 4x and leave bottom hang loose. my understanding is when arrow hits the back stop will move enough allowing the arrow to slow and drop without destroying the arrow... again i have not used this idea but plan to soon.hope this helps....

I live in the suburbs. I have just shy of one acre and I practice with my Xbow. I shoot into a target made just for field tips and then a second one (block style) for broadheads. I'm looking to build some type of backstop behind both targets for safety. I've never actually had an arrow miss the target completely. But, I'm trying to set my neighbor's mind at ease. 

I was thinking maybe getting a 4x8 3/4 inch plywood sheet from Lowes / Home Depot. Then, maybe cutting in 1/2 so I have 2 4/x4's. Then, screw them together. Do you think that will stop an errant bolt? 

Another thought I had was to attach the two sheets with a 2/4 frame in between and then filling the gap with some type of insulation...

I shoot fast bows 380 FPS and 425 FPS. 

All ideas welcome.

If your arrow went through 2 layers of 3/4" plywood, it would not go very far. so it will work

If your arrow went through 2 layers of 3/4" plywood, it would not go very far. so it will work

i think the better question is if it will still be usable or how many pieces will it be in lol....another things i seen i think it's on youtube is two of the horse mats on 2x4's or 4x4's filled in with sand was used to stop hand gun rounds .....

Edited by buckhound

i think the better question is if it will still be usable or how many pieces will it be in....another things i seen i think it's on youtube is two of the horse mats on 2x4's or 4x4's filled in with sand was used to stop hand gun rounds .....

Most likely not but with a crossbow it should never happen. I am also sure there are better ways but like he stated this is just in case.  

LOL no it shouldn't happen but we all no how that goes :rant: i lost about 8 bolts one week trying to figure out what was up with mine.ended up the springs in the scope went  bad and scope was out of whack . the other day i lost one when it went completly through my block and hit a wood fence and exploded..i figure with the cost of arrows and bolts as well as broad heads  its good to be safe but if that can be done with out losing equipment thats better. does anyone have one of the deer thats compatible with crossbows if so how do they hold up ?

LOL no it shouldn't happen but we all no how that goes :rant: i lost about 8 bolts one week trying to figure out what was up with mine.ended up the springs in the scope went  bad and scope was out of whack . the other day i lost one when it went completly through my block and hit a wood fence and exploded..i figure with the cost of arrows and bolts as well as broad heads  its good to be safe but if that can be done with out losing equipment thats better. does anyone have one of the deer thats compatible with crossbows if so how do they hold up ?

Yep, t does get expensive.

I like the horse mat idea.  It looks like the arrows will survive.  I have some of those 6 foot green fence posts.  Maybe put 2 of those up and run a cable between and hang a horse mat or two.  

Thanks for all the ideas.  

I like the horse mat idea.  It looks like the arrows will survive.  I have some of those 6 foot green fence posts.  Maybe put 2 of those up and run a cable between and hang a horse mat or two.  

Thanks for all the ideas.  

2x4s work great on top of the green posts. Just drill a hole and you are set:

https://youtu.be/28R_D3s77IE

I have put bolts completely through the mats but they take a lot of snot out of the arrows. Sometimes you will lodge your nock in the mat on a pass thru too. For the price, if you shoot in a sensitive area doubling up on the mats may be a better idea. You will need to use 4x4's as you have a pretty good amount of weight to deal with.